Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry briars diseased

Options
  • 15-08-2010 11:52pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

This year I have noticed that the blackberry briars are all badly coated in like a mould or disease of some sort. I am wondering what it is?

I am thinking its caused by all the rain this summer although I have never noticed it this time of year before. I think its a bit unusual as the berries are just ripening and the leaves should be fairly healthy and green.

This is a couple of leaves I picked
    124252.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

looks like Phragmidium violaceum - a fungal pathogen of blackberry. It's very common, although not always as obvious as it is on the leaves in your photo

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

It really caught my eye this year as it is very severe. There are two moulds /fungus present on the leaves, one is orange and one is black see pic.

My question is- are they both Phragmidium violaceum?

Advertisement