Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad and 3 Mifi device

• 15-08-2010 10:15pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am trying to use a mifi device, seems to have 3G signal and iPad is picking up signal from mifi but it won't let me open any web pages....are there any special settings needed for it to work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Am trying to use a mifi device, seems to have 3G signal and iPad is picking up signal from mifi but it won't let me open any web pages....are there any special settings needed for it to work?

Bill pay or 3Pay?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Sorry should have mentioned that...Billpay.

Sorry should have mentioned that...Billpay.

First of all, while connected with the MiFi, open Safari and go to 192.168.1.1. Here you can web-manage the device. Look in the diagnostic pane and see what APN it's using. If 3internet, create a 2nd profile with 3ireland.ie and try that instead.

In addition, have you registered it? If not, might be a plan. 3 can be awfully fussy sometimes.

Tried going to that site in safari and it won't work :(

Tried registering and it says it will send the activation code to the mobile that has rme aim card in it, only problem is the sim is in the mifi not a phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

put the sim in a phone for a minute?

• Advertisement

Tried going to that site in safari and it won't work :(

Tried registering and it says it will send the activation code to the mobile that has rme aim card in it, only problem is the sim is in the mifi not a phone!

You must be connected by wifi/Airport to the Mifi - internet connection is irrelevant, you can still navigate to 192.168.1.1.

Once there, the interface has an SMS management applet, where you can check your SMS if you don't wish to put the SIM in a phone.

Tried that and all it does is take me to the following

http://guide.opendns.com/main?url=192.168.1.1.

:confused:

Tried that and all it does is take me to the following

http://guide.opendns.com/main?url=192.168.1.1.

:confused:

Then it looks to me as though you're connected to your home wifi or home broadband and not to the wifi signal being emitted by the MiFi itself, as you wouldn't have configured it for OpenDNS.

Sorry and thanks for your patience (I'm not normally so thick with tech stuff !)

Tried again with the midi and now it's saying it can't open the page as the server is not responding :(

Sorry and thanks for your patience (I'm not normally so thick with tech stuff !)

Tried again with the midi and now it's saying it can't open the page as the server is not responding :(

Can you confirm that this is the black E585?
    SIM in and turned on?
    Connected to its signal by wifi or by USB and password correctly entered as supplied?

• Advertisement

No, it's a white Huawei E5830

Sim card is in and lights are appearing correctly on the device.the first time I tried connecting the iPad asked for the password, put that in and it accepted it.It knows to connect to the device...it just won't load any Internet pages :(

Am trying to connect via wifi.

No, it's a white Huawei E5830

Sim card is in and lights are appearing correctly on the device.the first time I tried connecting the iPad asked for the password, put that in and it accepted it.It knows to connect to the device...it just won't load any Internet pages :(

Am trying to connect via wifi.

Oh, am sorry, I assumed it was a recent purchase and therefore the newer E585.

In that case, you cannot use 192.168.1.1 without a firmware update.

If you have a spare handset I suggest you try it in that first to see if you can connect using that, to reduce our options.

My guess is that it's an APN issue. The SIM is probably set to 3internet but after last weekends 3Fest now expects 3ireland.ie (or vice-versa). Believe me, I've been through it, 3 profiles are crazy.

If so, see if you can change the APN in either a handset or a Windows machine.

Thanks, although you now have me worried, have I been sold old stock (I only purchased it about a week ago)...maybe worth taking back to 3 Dundrum?

Thanks, although you now have me worried, have I been sold old stock (I only purchased it about a week ago)...maybe worth taking back to 3 Dundrum?

A resounding yes. Everyone should get an E585. Then you can easily webmanage it from your iPad using the address given.

Thanks.will get on to them tomorrow.

Advertisement