Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I remove plastic from new windows

Options
  • 15-08-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to remove the proctective plastic that is around the outside of the my windows. Only problem is that I did not remove it in time and now it is gone all hard and brittle and impossible to remove. Has anybody got any suggestions how to remove this stuff as my windows look s..t with the old plastic. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

i've used a wallpaper steamer, which doesn't affect the plastic and needs no clean up. others have posted that WD 40 works a treat, so i'd suggest you start with the oil

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Use a stanley knife a cut around the edges where the plaster meets the plastic.Use a steamer and get under the plastic, peel it off upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Multisolve spray will destroy any tackiness and make it easier to lift, and pull out from the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Thanks guys for all the suggestion. I try each of them amd report back with hopefully a successfull conclusion.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

did u get sorted out since?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

I worked for the service dept in Munster Joinery, this came up alot even though its printed on the plastic "remove directly after intallation". Steamer is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

My house is a two storey so using a steamer on second storey way too dangerous.
    In my case found WD40 useless (only good to shine window frame after plastic removal as frame as blask).

I did it the old fashioned way with stanley blades and lots of back breaking effort. (I also tried heat gun etc) But the plastic is on windows 3 years so it was very brittle and impossible to remove but all finished now thank god.

So please remember remove the plastic from your windows before you take the scaffold down from around your house.:rolleyes:

Advertisement