Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insert Stove TR5

Options
  • 15-08-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi
    I have read a lot of threads on Insert stoves and just wanted to ask a few questions aimed at installing one of these .
    I was looking at fitting the TR4(4KW) or TR5 (5 KW) insert stove,I have a normal semi-house ,chimney is on divider wall of neighbours .
    1) Can i just as manual for TR4 says ,take out grate,push stove in ,drill and fix screw in bottom plate of stove ,tighten special arm gizmo that pulls it tight against flue-lintel.
    2)The stove then just sits snug against marble fireplace (air tight).Do you need to connect to existing flue via adaptor or flexi-flue (solid fuel grade).
    3) Any REVIEWS ON THESE TYPE OF STOVES good or bad ?

Cheers
    Snow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If you read this link, you'll come across a whole pile of discussion about why you need to line your chimney.
    Not sure about the Tripp stoves but you can find some stove reviews on www.whatstove.co.uk

For what its worth, I'm looking for a similar unit for a similar application and I'm having fierce problems deciding on which one to buy, what grade of liner to install, whether to get cast iron or welded steel, who to trust, who knows what they're on about, who's got a vested interest in you taking their advice, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 A05snow

Thanks Dilbert for reply!
    I honestly think after looking at threads on stoves in general
    that back in 2006/2007 it was a common perception that these stoves were a doddle to fit!,and no bad thing would happen because they were fool proof .
    I for one! honestly believed insert stoves were basically open box,push in ,light cosy fire,ENJOY!
    However it now is a fact that there are real dangers,if these stoves are not fitted properly, into a coventional Irish family fireplace.
    Pity really as it kind of turned me off fitting one.
    Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I think a lot of people, myself also included, had that impression about all stoves, not just inserts. That's not necessarily going to change my mind about doing it - maybe its a sense of responsibility not to be wasting heat - but I'm going to be a lot more realistic about the investment paying back and over what period.
    If only I could get as good a response from some Irish stove suppliers as I've got from some outside of the Republic it'd be a lot easier to do.

Advertisement