Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan tiida????

Options
  • 15-08-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

What the hell is nissan thinking these days with this sleep-inducingly boring thing.
    Dear god i actually seen the saloon version of this car today. Who the hell in their right mind would look at this abomination & think yup, thats the car for me, I'l take it!:eek: Presume its old folks who simply don't care what it looks like?

P7230036.jpg

Is this the most boring looking saloon for sale at the moment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The hatch isnt too bad in diesel form.

I think it was the last of a bad patch from Nissan - the Qashqai has, and the Juke should bring the standards back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The hatch isnt too bad in diesel form.

I think it was the last of a bad patch from Nissan - the Qashqai has, and the Juke should bring the standards back up.

Thats the thing, nissan come up with great cars like the GTR, 350/370Z. Always liked the look of the qashqai......& then they bring out this yoke.

If its mean't to be competing with the likes of the focus, mazda3, auris, civic, golf, 307, megane etc it hasn't got a chance. Yes its probably very reliable but a cars got to look somewhat pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I read somewhere that the Tiida is only sold in developing/3rd world countries.

They are not sold in Britain or most of Europe, ie Germany, France...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

My mother has one pretty much identical to the one in the picture. Probably the main reason she went for it was the Nissan dealer gave an exceptional trade in on her old Primera which was on its last legs and worth nothing (this was 2 years ago before the scrappage scheme).

Only thing I'll say in it's favour is there's a huge amount of real leg and headroom.

However, it's narrow, handles dreadfully, that 1.5 diesel is noisy as hell and that's before you get to the fact that the car looks like two different people designed the front ad the back and met in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

What the hell is nissan thinking these days with this sleep-inducingly boring thing.
    Dear god i actually seen the saloon version of this car today. Who the hell in their right mind would look at this abomination & think yup, thats the car for me, I'l take it!:eek: Presume its old folks who simply don't care what it looks like?

P7230036.jpg

God fonecrusher when I seen your name next to the thread title I thought you had lost your mind and were thinking about buying one.... What a horrible ugly car. Nissan really done toyota a favour here with this car. I know loads of old almera customers that have changed to a new corolla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭CR 7

Almost all of them I've seen have had those blue and pink ribbons on the back. Says a lot about their target market I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

My aunt had one! She traded it in after a month and got a passat! The boot in it is tiny. I found it a very bumpy ride. Seats were ok. Very bland interior tough! She had an octavia when she changed and we uset complain about that being boring and bland! She loves the passat!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hertz can't get enough of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Ah the tiida what an awful car.
    BTW they are sold in America under a
    different name, verso I think.
    Just like the qasqui is called rogue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hertz can't get enough of them.

If the price is right, they'll move, Hertz aren't paying anything close to retail, even allowing for the VRT rebate on rental cars. The problem is they're pitching them against far superior mainstream competitors. If you consider it as a competitor to the Chevy Lacetti, it could make sense but against the Golf, Focus, etc... it's hopeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cooltown wrote: »
    My aunt had one! She traded it in after a month and got a passat! The boot in it is tiny. I found it a very bumpy ride. Seats were ok. Very bland interior tough! She had an octavia when she changed and we uset complain about that being boring and bland! She loves the passat!

Did she not look in the boot before she bought it:confused: I assume she did with the Passat?

Either way it was never going to be as big seeing as the Passat is a bigger car. The Tilda is comparable to a Golf size wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did she not look in the boot before she bought it:confused: I assume she did with the Passat?

Either way it was never going to be as big seeing as the Passat is a bigger car. The Tilda is comparable to a Golf size wise.
    Well she had the octavia and the central locking, elec windows mirrors all were only working at times as well as the wipes uset freeze when ever she went over 80km/h/ She want rid of it and she went to a garrage when all the elec were working and traded it in. I feel sorry for the person that bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

The problem with Nissan is not that they produced ridiculous-looking cars like the Tiida. It's that they are owned by Renault for over 10 years now, and in that time, Renault have infected a once reliable marque with their unreliable DNA. Weak gearboxes which fail prematurely are a case in point in the Primera / Almera. The Nissans of old had a very good repuation for reliabilty across the board, yet Renault did a superb job of ruining that.

My missus wants to buy a Qashqai but I've talked her out of it for the moment solely because I want to see if the gearbox malaise of its predecessors sets in with it too.

Incidentally, I read a posting on a UK forum which says that the 2.0D (Renault sourced) engine in the Qashqai can give such messy trouble that even Nissan can't fix it......:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

shamwari wrote: »
    The problem with Nissan is not that they produced ridiculous-looking cars like the Tiida. It's that they are owned by Renault for over 10 years now, and in that time, Renault have infected a once reliable marque with their unreliable DNA. Weak gearboxes which fail prematurely are a case in point in the Primera / Almera. The Nissans of old had a very good repuation for reliabilty across the board, yet Renault did a superb job of ruining that.

My missus wants to buy a Qashqai but I've talked her out of it for the moment solely because I want to see if the gearbox malaise of its predecessors sets in with it too.

Incidentally, I read a posting on a UK forum which says that the 2.0D (Renault sourced) engine in the Qashqai can give such messy trouble that even Nissan can't fix it......:confused:

I havent seen one single issue with the 1.5DCi unit in the Qashqai, of all the thousands of them that have been sold, nore have I seen any gearbox issues. Its the same engine/gearbox thats in the Tiida and fair enough, there arent too many of them around either but I've still seen no problems.

Likewise, with the Megane or Laguna. Granted the Renaults both have other issues to deal with.

I cant speak for the 2.0DCi because it was never a big seller in Ireland.

shamwari wrote: »

Whenever i see a thread about someone having a problem with a nissan, 9 times out 10 the car is less than ten years old. Renault linked up with nissan in 1999/2000.;)

I owned a 2000 1.4 1st gen almera a few years ago & it was built like a tank, never let me down. A woman that lives across the road from my parents place has a 1999 micra from new - faultless. The newer shape 2000 onwards 1.5 almeras are famed for transmission issues.

The brother has a 2002 primera, a good car he says but the battery dies every few months for some unknown reason & the headlamp bulbs constantly need replacing. Theres obviously some electrical issue within the cars wiring loom im guessing?

The old primeras/almeras just never gave trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I owned a 2000 1.4 1st gen almera a few years ago & it was built like a tank, never let me down. A woman that lives across the road from my parents place has a 1999 micra from new - faultless. The newer shape 2000 onwards 1.5 almeras are famed for transmission issues.

The only thing Renault in that Almera was the 1.5 diesel engine. The petrol is entirely Nissan.

And I doubt if many 1.5 diesel Almeras (If any at all) were sold here, certainly in pre facelift (2003) anyway.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The only thing Renault in that Almera was the 1.5 diesel engine. The petrol is entirely Nissan.

And I doubt if many 1.5 diesel Almeras (If any at all) were sold here, certainly in pre facelift (2003) anyway.

After the alliance with renault in 1999 the almera/primera chassis's(plural) were a joint venture between the two manufacturers. There was renault input in their developement.

There are two sides to the whole nissan/renault merger argument. On one hand yes nissan products do seem to be not quite as robust as they were in the 90's possibly because of renaults involvement.
    On the other hand, nissan was in deep sh!t around the late 90's & almost certainly would have gone bust had it not been for renaults partnership.

Nissan went from being a company on the verge of collapse to regaining big player status in the space of a few years so whatever the french did has obviously worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Diesel engine in the Almera was 2.2 litre unit which was a Renault unit. Stopped selling it hear due to the large motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The "famed Almera Gearbox issue" is due to not changing the gearbox oil and the lack of a magnet on the gearbox casing for collecting the swarf. Once you change the gearbox oil every so often, use a magnetic sump plug and baby hands when changing gear (they don't like rapid or rough gear changes) the box will last.

Back to the Tiida. I had one as a hire car, and as a hire car, it was grand. It was reasonably comfortable, easy enough on petrol but utterly without feedback, feeling or any sensation. It was a car designed as transport, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Boring people have a right to have the choice to have a boring car just add much add the rest of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the Tiida is only sold in developing/3rd world countries.

They are not sold in Britain or most of Europe, ie Germany, France...

Yes, cheap affordable cars Nissan they sell here, due to the Car taxation regime we have here ie VRT! Its the same with the Toyota Corolla, not sold in the UK, because it wouild be to close to the Avensis in price over there! But the Irish feel its a decent saloon for 20k. The same thing with the Renault Fluence, Another midi saloon considered a good deal for the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Boring people have a right to have the choice to have a boring car just add much add the rest of us

God created Celery himself. Its the most boring bland thing in the world. Nissan came along and outdone him with the Tida. He must be raging..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

jock101 wrote: »
    Yes, cheap affordable cars Nissan they sell here, due to the Car taxation regime we have here ie VRT! Its the same with the Toyota Corolla, not sold in the UK, because it wouild be to close to the Avensis in price over there! But the Irish feel its a decent saloon for 20k. The same thing with the Renault Fluence, Another midi saloon considered a good deal for the price!

The Corolla, Fluence and Tiida are sold here because something in the Irish psyche tells them saloons are bigger than hatches. Saloon versions of the Almera and Sunny before it were practically unheard of in the UK, the same goes not only for booted versions of Golfs, Astras, etc... but also Mondeos, Primeras, Avensises. If there's a choice between a hatch and saloon in the same range, the Brits will take the hatch and the Irish will take the saloon.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The Corolla, Fluence and Tiida are sold here because something in the Irish psyche tells them saloons are bigger than hatches. Saloon versions of the Almera and Sunny before it were practically unheard of in the UK, the same goes not only for booted versions of Golfs, Astras, etc... but also Mondeos, Primeras, Avensises. If there's a choice between a hatch and saloon in the same range, the Brits will take the hatch and the Irish will take the saloon.

Yeah there are certain hatchback cars that are difficult to get here because of our strange obsession with saloons. The h/b variant of the old honda accord, mazda 6 & avensis are rare enough over here.

I very much have a preference for hatchbacks. Saloons might often look nicer but theres nothing more practical than a good hatchback. Christ i sound old.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I havent seen one single issue with the 1.5DCi unit in the Qashqai, of all the thousands of them that have been sold, nore have I seen any gearbox issues. Its the same engine/gearbox thats in the Tiida and fair enough, there arent too many of them around either but I've still seen no problems.

Likewise, with the Megane or Laguna. Granted the Renaults both have other issues to deal with.

I cant speak for the 2.0DCi because it was never a big seller in Ireland.

The 1.5Dci engine isn't the problem - it is in fairness ok. I don't think enough time has passed yet to deem the gearboxes safe, and so I'll wait another while yet before contemplating a purchase.

Megane and Laguna's also have past problems with the their gearboxes - the latter especially. This is no joke - I know 3 people with Laguna3's (2003 x2 and a 2004) and all three are on their second gearbox. Likewise the van which Renault / Nissan and Opel sell (Movana / Vivaro and so on) use Renault gearboxes which quite frankly are made of stuff as strong as chocolate. I have a borescope pic somwhere of some internal damage suffered in one of those boxes. If I can dig it out, I'll post it up. Makes for sobering viewing...

Advertisement