Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom Tanking

Options
  • 15-08-2010 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

ok, little confused as to when to tank and when not to tank.

I have 1 shower upstairs (hollowcore), its a normal shower with low profile tray. walls will be tiled to the ceiling and doors fitted etc. . . .

down stairs has a wetroom, the room itself is long and narrow, about 1.5m wide, so at the bottom of the room im going to have a wet room, about .9m X 1.5m. use a glass screen to close off .9m to 1m of the opening.

question is, what needs to be tanked, IMO the wetroom downstairs yes, but what about upstairs? 8 yrs ago there was no tanking in showers , , , ,

all advice welcome,

also, where can i get my hands on these tanking systems, was in homebase/woodies today and saw nothing. . . .

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

you wont get this tanking systems in Woodies or Homebase, you need to to a proper hardware store or some tile shops.

Ive ised this system and i wouldnt ever put a shower upstairs in a house without using it - provided one of the structural elements is timber.

If the floor being hollow core, and the walls upstairs are block, i personally wouldnt use the tanking system as i feel there is no particular need.

The reason for the tanking system is particularly for when the house has timber joisting and stud walls. Because timber moves, the joisting can shrink or sag ever so slightly as with the stud walls, this then causes hirling cracks in the corners where the shower trymeets the wall, and no amount of silicone will make it completely waterproof, however if you use the tanking sistem down the wall behind the tiles and out over the lop of the tray, it flexes with the wood and creates a seal.

I dont envisage there being a problem like this with block walls and hollowcore.

It costs about 125, for the bucket and mesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

This company has an online store for tanking materials and info on what to do. Based in sandyford.
    <SNIP>

Mod Edit: Read the charter, do not post company details (including links to same) on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Tank them both it will do no harm. But dont attempt to install a wetroom without tanking or something simular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

ok lads, thanks for the info,

dont worry, it will defo go in the wet room,

Im just still contemplating the upstairs.

It would have been unheard of 5 years ago, putting a tanking system in a std shower. . . and given that i have hollowcore and block walls i cant see there would be a need, but ill ask around and think about it..

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

PUT Sorry about the post. I am not au fait with the detail of different charters for each individual forum on boards.ie.

I was just trying to be helpful by pointing the OP in general direction of what he was looking for from a company that I have experience of. How else do we share information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

ok lads, thanks for the info,

dont worry, it will defo go in the wet room,

Im just still contemplating the upstairs.

It would have been unheard of 5 years ago, putting a tanking system in a std shower. . . and given that i have hollowcore and block walls i cant see there would be a need, but ill ask around and think about it..

cheers

You dont need to tank a normal shower but you will have some left so why not use it. I always rec that showers are tanked. Its cheap and its a good preventer.

5 years ago wet rooms were not popular in the "normal" house. However they were popular in situations of lots of money or disability bathrooms and you can bet your dollar these were tanked very very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

trad wrote: »
    How else do we share information?

By Private Messages only please

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

trad wrote: »
    How else do we share information?
    by PM trad, as sinnerboy said,
    the infraction will be gone in 10 days...:)

Advertisement