Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pick up German?

Options
  • 15-08-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭

I will need to re-learn German in the next few months for work. I did A-Level German, but that was 8 years ago now and I haven't really used it much since then. If I watch the news in German, I can follow but miss quite a bit. I think I have lots of gaps in my knowledge where I've forgotten simple things and my vocabulary is quite terrible now. What's the best option for me? I looked into classes, but I was told it'd be difficult to find the appropriate level. I tested at B2 level, but I think that was due to passive knowledge and I would probably struggle a lot in a class of people who'd just gone up through the levels. I considered starting from the beginning to make sure all the gaps were filled in, but that might be a bit easy. Could anyone suggest a way to re-learn German effectively? I will continue to watch the news in German a few times a week and look at YouTube vids, but I could do with some decent workbooks or something as well. Are there any good websites or YouTube channels I should use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I will need to re-learn German in the next few months for work. I did A-Level German, but that was 8 years ago now and I haven't really used it much since then. If I watch the news in German, I can follow but miss quite a bit. I think I have lots of gaps in my knowledge where I've forgotten simple things and my vocabulary is quite terrible now. What's the best option for me? I looked into classes, but I was told it'd be difficult to find the appropriate level. I tested at B2 level, but I think that was due to passive knowledge and I would probably struggle a lot in a class of people who'd just gone up through the levels. I considered starting from the beginning to make sure all the gaps were filled in, but that might be a bit easy. Could anyone suggest a way to re-learn German effectively? I will continue to watch the news in German a few times a week and look at YouTube vids, but I could do with some decent workbooks or something as well. Are there any good websites or YouTube channels I should use?

The Assimil German course.

Advertisement