Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly moving to Ireland and studying Nursing...

Options
  • 15-08-2010 6:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I was directed here after I posted an ad on Dublin Craigslist. This may be drastic, but we have one life to live and I plan on taking advantage of that. I am an American, but please don't generalize me...unfortunately we have made a joke out of our country - I understand this! But back to my original topic - studying abroad.

I plan on going to Ireland to visit with friends next summer. If all goes well, I would like to attempt to go to school there for nursing. Obviously, I would have to come overseas and actually experience the lifestyle in its entirety to make that call. IDEALLY, I would like to apply for citizenship and live in Ireland permanently. Why? For starters, my grandparents live in Northern Ireland in nursing homes and not one of my family members has ever gone there to visit them, I have always been drawn to the culture and I would obviously do my part in learning as much as I could about your culture prior to coming over. As an American dealing with the immigration problems that we are having over here, I would never put any other country through it. People come here and don't even attempt to learn anything about America, put all of their shop signs in their respective countries' languages and never learn a lick of English. They don't need to know when the constitution was written...but they could at least know what it is!

I am not conceited, but I know that I have the personality to make it as a nurse. I am hardworking, friendly, compassionate, strong and dedicated. I have mere pre-requisite classes and haven't started any nursing program here in New York. Unfortunately, my family ties are weak and I don't feel anything keeping me here other than the anxiety of unfamiliarity. I am not a criminal, never had a record and I do a lot of community work such as donating to orphanages and helping animals in need.

So please, any helpful information will do me good. What nursing schools do you recommend? I plan on going into pediatric nursing. Is there a separate field/schooling for that type of nurse in Ireland? How do I even go about everything? First step is obviously a passport...but the rest is blank to me!

Also, a place to call home would be nice. My personality is very laid back, happy. I love nature, animals but I am young (24) so I like to go out on the weekends. I am very uneducated on the geography of Ireland itself. All I know is that it is very, very green :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

If you have an Irish-born grandparent you will likely be eligible for Irish citizenship. It's even easier if you have an Irish-born parent.

Would make getting in to the country a lot easier.

See here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/irish-citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If you are thinking of studying nursing in Northern Ireland your main options are the University of Ulster (Derry) and Queen's (Belfast).

Ulster has a BSc in Adult Nursing while Queen's has a BSc specifically in Children's Nursing. There is no need to take any community college or pre-nursing courses unless you don't meet the entrance requirements (that would usually be the case for people who decided to study nursing later or have opted out of formal education early). Ulster is talking of having the science requirements for their courses become compulsory from next year onwards. Both universities seem a little sketchy on what they require of international students for application but if it helps, a high school graduate from the UK/Ireland would have sufficient qualifications (depending on subjects/grades of course). You don't need anything extra on top of that.

The prospectus for the Queen's course is here. Queen's also offers the option of your degree being a transatlantic 'double' degree which may help with recognition of your qualifications if you choose to go back home and practice at some point.

Fees would be expensive for you and you wouldn't be eligible for any assistance from Ireland with the exception of any bursaries/scholarships the college may offer you.

There isn't much on the sites at the moment about applying (as the applications for admission next month are still taking up their time!) so maybe check back in early October. There are contact email addresses on both college websites so you could always shoot off an email asking about the qualifications you'd need.

A student visa would cover you while you're studying so the citizenship isn't a huge issue at the moment, and UK government financial assistance goes on residency rather than nationality so it wouldn't make a difference from that end either.

Any other questions let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

NUIG Overseas Fees for nursing come in at €17k a year (this could well be cheaper than studying in the US)

As has been said, going for Irish citizenship through grandparents would help a lot. This drops the fees to around €7k (it's free tuition if you've been living in Europe for a few years)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Hi staytrue

ul has a good nursing program which is semesterised (like the american programs ) there are a good few american students around ul (through study abroad programs ) it is also easy to make freinds in ul with the clubs and socs being a magior part of the campus
    here's a link to the ul website http://www.ul.ie/courses /LM150.shtml , a link to the international students section of the website http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/International_Education_Division and a link to the clubs and socs website http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/frontend.php?p=clubssocs

best of luck with your plans

• Registered Users Posts: 13 crazyground2005

staytrue wrote: »
    I was directed here after I posted an ad on Dublin Craigslist. This may be drastic, but we have one life to live and I plan on taking advantage of that. I am an American, but please don't generalize me...unfortunately we have made a joke out of our country - I understand this! But back to my original topic - studying abroad.

I plan on going to Ireland to visit with friends next summer. If all goes well, I would like to attempt to go to school there for nursing. Obviously, I would have to come overseas and actually experience the lifestyle in its entirety to make that call. IDEALLY, I would like to apply for citizenship and live in Ireland permanently. Why? For starters, my grandparents live in Northern Ireland in nursing homes and not one of my family members has ever gone there to visit them, I have always been drawn to the culture and I would obviously do my part in learning as much as I could about your culture prior to coming over. As an American dealing with the immigration problems that we are having over here, I would never put any other country through it. People come here and don't even attempt to learn anything about America, put all of their shop signs in their respective countries' languages and never learn a lick of English. They don't need to know when the constitution was written...but they could at least know what it is!

I am not conceited, but I know that I have the personality to make it as a nurse. I am hardworking, friendly, compassionate, strong and dedicated. I have mere pre-requisite classes and haven't started any nursing program here in New York. Unfortunately, my family ties are weak and I don't feel anything keeping me here other than the anxiety of unfamiliarity. I am not a criminal, never had a record and I do a lot of community work such as donating to orphanages and helping animals in need.

So please, any helpful information will do me good. What nursing schools do you recommend? I plan on going into pediatric nursing. Is there a separate field/schooling for that type of nurse in Ireland? How do I even go about everything? First step is obviously a passport...but the rest is blank to me!

Also, a place to call home would be nice. My personality is very laid back, happy. I love nature, animals but I am young (24) so I like to go out on the weekends. I am very uneducated on the geography of Ireland itself. All I know is that it is very, very green :)

Hi there

I would love to go nursing in New York do you have any information on how i would get a job? I have 5 yrs experience here of nursing. Wonder if theres any difference in the pay??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

cazyground2005 you may have more luck asking in the United States forum. Alternatively PM the OP, though they may not be an active user anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement