Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new student

Options
  • 14-08-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am about to start an Arts degree in UCC and I am planning on taking Chinese Studies which will involve learning the language. I have not studied a language since leaving school, and in school never really took to them. Am I crazy? Anyone do this course module and find it ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

hey,
    i didnt do that course you're talking about but i've been learning chinese for about 2 years. its the kind of thing, like any language i guess, that if you're interested you'll go far, but if you lose interest early on it'll be like hitting a brick wall...

my advice would be; dont give up early on. it seems really difficult at the beginning but definitely do-able if you stick at it. also, i'd think learning properly depends on getting real exposure to the language, so planning a semester in china studying sometime in the future would really help.

it'd give you something to work towards, and if you had a strong foundation from studying when here in ireland (i.e, the tones, and a good basic vocabulary) then it would come together extra fast in china. it might even turn into a couple of years over there as its such an interesting place....

hope this helps a little

• Registered Users Posts: 24 myImage

Thanks, giving up early on is alway a threat when leaning something new- I will try to stick with it past the hump!

Advertisement