Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial tax

Options
  • 14-08-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

My wife drives a VW Golf van its always been a van hasn't been converted she went to renew the tax on Friday and was told she needed a vat number to tax it they gave her a form to get stamped in the garda station she said she didn't work (house wife) and was told that even though she had a new DOE and commercial insurance that she had to tax her van private.

Is this so is it new anyone any info on this ?????????? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This has always been the case ...just not enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Don't know about vat no. requirment, but garda station form is probably a declaration that the van won't be used for social or domestic purposes. As your wife is a housewife, I can't see any entitlement to commercial tax, and wonder does her insurance adequately cover her.
    I drive a van registered in business name, never had to produce vat no. but always have to get garda form signed when taxing for first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Its not enforced but you cant use a commercial for SDP..if you take the work van to the pub you'd better claim you are on 24hr emergency call out if questioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Things are starting to tighten up in the taxing and use of comm.vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

New to me. I used to drive a van, not for a business or anything but nobody ever questioned me taxing it as commercial, in fact the first time I taxed it the woman in the tax office told me I should tax it as commercial because it would be too much hassle to change it to private tax. No idea what that was about, but I was happy to pay the cheaper rate obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i drive a commercial vehicle as my daily, 90% of its use is commercial but it gets used for social bits now and again, I know its not entirely as it should be but f*ck it , why should I have to buy, tax and insure a private car to do a bit of shopping etc... but your missus doesnt work so shes using hers 0% commercial , in reality she should pay the private tax

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

They are wrong on the need for a VAT number though.

Not all people that work for themselves have a vat number.

I know several people that don't and use vans for commercial purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

could they have been looking for a company registration number ? its different to a vat number, companies dont have to be vat registered

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shanemc1

Had to do this myself when I changed my van. VAT number wasn't need but I had to get the Gards to sign a form stating my occupation and that I required it for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

There was a post before on this subject, they only want vans used for work purpose, A fella i know had the same problem, they wanted him to sign something saying he would not be using it for social purposes and only work. In the end he just taxed in private, meaning he had to pay more taxing it as a 1.9 car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I think you just need to be prepared so if you are stopped you can claim to be delivering something or , as i said earlier, on 24 hr callout. EVERYONE abuses the works van!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

We have two vans taxed commercially and both regularly get used for private purposes. I would imagine most people are the same. I doubt there are too many people in this country with vans that are taxed commercially who can honestly say that they have never used said van for a single personal journey within the last year.

So the fact is that most people are in violation of the law on commercially taxed vehicles. In a situation like that it is the law itself that needs to be looked at in my opinion. The system is a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

650gs wrote: »
    My wife drives a VW Golf van its always been a van hasn't been converted she went to renew the tax on Friday and was told she needed a vat number to tax it they gave her a form to get stamped in the garda station she said she didn't work (house wife) and was told that even though she had a new DOE and commercial insurance that she had to tax her van private.

Is this so is it new anyone any info on this ?????????? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Lucky for her,the gardai didnt have her for blatant fraud and take the van off her for not having it taxed from the word go as a private car/van..
    Seen as she went and told the tax office/gardai "I dont work".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I had to do this recently, if you have a vat number u stick it on the form and tax the van. If you have no vat number u sign it to declare the van us for commercial use n bring it down the garda station to get it stamped. I run a business but we're not registered for vat so I had to do the latter...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Er lads - this thread is over a year old. There's been plenty other threads on the same subject since ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement