Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CARTY / Ó Cárthaigh - North Longford

• 14-08-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

According to family lore three brothers came from Kildare and settled in the area around Ballinalee circa the 1820's, possibly earlier.

Three brothers, Hugh, John and Thomas (I think!!!) built three houses together, and the first two died childless, and the latter inherited the land and built it into one farm.

Either he or his son, during famine times, was none to freindly to local famine victims, running them from feilds where they had planted turnips as a potatoe alternative (something picked up from the Palatines I gather).

A family story of ghosts my father claimed to have seen!!! Possibly due to imbibing poitin he drank... makes a good story anyway!

His son, in rebellion against his parents became involved in the Fenians, and served time in Longford Gaol.

Either his son or grandson was my great grandfather, who gave refuge to Sean Mac Eoin when on the run from the British, and before that when he was under boycott by the local over they Mc Intertney / McInerney childrens eviction (after which he took in the children until their family collected them).

He stood by MacEoin during the fracas over the shooting of young sentry Mc Evaddy from Athlone, though on politics he was neutral, not agreeing with MacEoins Free State line though he respected his choice as having faught for it.

Other names in the family which I am trying to piece together in Heraty, Mulaniffe, Coyle.

Photo taken by Sean "Tipper" Mac Eoin of my family, circa 1915.
    He went on to be leader of the Free State army.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oatriciar61

Hi
    i came across your post about Carty which mentioned the name Mcinerney I have been researching my late father's family from Ballinalee. My maiden name was Mcinerney.My understanding was my Grandfather Edward Murtagh was born in Ballinalee in 1872 to parents Catherine (nee McEnerney) the speiling changed over the years. and Patrick Murtagh. My Grandfather used both names Murtagh/McInerney and lived around Ballinalee/Bunlahy area also Cavan Town. I am wondering if there is any connection with the McInerney's you mentioned. My GGGrandfather was called Patt McEnerney and lived in Ballinalee in 1866 and possibly before then.

Would welcome any info you may have on the McInerney family.

Regards,
    Patricia.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

Myfathers pronounciation of the name was MacInerteny, but quite possibly it was McInerney.

Their home was / stood on the site of Mc Eoins forge - picture below on the France road, as one turns for Mullinalaghta.

800px-Sean_MacEoin_-_by_Andrew_J_Hill_081.JPG

The forge of Andrew McKeown, the man who drove out the McInerneys / Mc Inertney children and was subject to the boycot as a result. Ran by his son when he turned 19 on his fathers death, whose name was John Joseph...known to the worldas the guerilla leader and innovator of the FlyingColumn model of fighting Sean Mac Eoin.
    Hi
    i came across your post about Carty which mentioned the name Mcinerney I have been researching my late father's family from Ballinalee. My maiden name was Mcinerney.My understanding was my Grandfather Edward Murtagh was born in Ballinalee in 1872 to parents Catherine (nee McEnerney) the speiling changed over the years. and Patrick Murtagh. My Grandfather used both names Murtagh/McInerney and lived around Ballinalee/Bunlahy area also Cavan Town. I am wondering if there is any connection with the McInerney's you mentioned. My GGGrandfather was called Patt McEnerney and lived in Ballinalee in 1866 and possibly before then.

Would welcome any info you may have on the McInerney family.

Regards,
    Patricia.

Advertisement