Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fish is this ?

Options
  • 14-08-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Hi guys caught this off Bere Island today. They were al very close to the shore and caught with a bare hook with a limpet as bait.

Has very sharp teeth that grind when open and closed and sharp spines in front of the dorsal that only stuck up when I caught it :confused:

s1050834.th.jpg

s1050835.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Gilthead Bream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

No afraid not, the fish I caught has a very small mouth, in all the fish was about 14 inches long.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Looks like a john dory.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Thats a trigger fish

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Thats a trigger fish

Trigger fish it is lads, also known as a blackjack to the locals, cooking her up now will let ya know how it tastes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

tfox wrote: »
    Trigger fish it is lads, also known as a blackjack to the locals, cooking her up now will let ya know how it tastes :D

:confused:cooking a trigger fish:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

I thought trigger fish where poisonous:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Found this
    definitely Triggerfish and definitely not poisonous:eek: Enjoy your meal tfox:D

skipz wrote: »
    :confused:cooking a trigger fish:confused:

Definitely cooked and my god was it tasty :D:D

Going back today for some more ;):p

Definitely cooked and my god was it tasty :D:D

Going back today for some more ;):p

Yeah! What did it taste like? I never heard of anyone eating a trigger, fair play:D

• Advertisement

Yeah! What did it taste like? I never heard of anyone eating a trigger, fair play:D

Hard to describe what it tasted like, quite fleshy meat, just very very tasty :D

Caught 3 more today, 2 on the hook and got one with my cousins homemade spear :D piece of wood with few nails stuck to the end, straight out of huckleberry finn :D

Would highly recommend coking one if you catch one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Would highly recommend coking one if you catch one ;)

didnt know they liked cocaine..........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Caught 3 more today, 2 on the hook and got one with my cousins homemade spear :D piece of wood with few nails stuck to the end, straight out of huckleberry finn :D

Give us a pic! I have to see that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

that's originaly a african species. another proof of the global warming

Give us a pic! I have to see that!:)
    44731_1572623797807_1301902814_1586994_4306340_n.jpg

They were swimming in and around the rocks near the shore in the cove. Didnt seem to phased by humans !! Local fisherman said they are a delicacy, you'd pay big bucks for them !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

BoarHunter wrote: »

It not been a hot summer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Rubbish, I have a book from 1908 that lists triggerfish as being caught in 1908 and earlier.
    They are common here in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Interesting post, I didn't know we got trigger fish in Ireland.

According to the National Aquarium:
    It is essentially a warm water fish, found mostly round the tropics and in the Mediterranean , but every summer, thousands of them head north to Irish waters to feed on shellfish and invertebrates. Many of these arrive after drifting underneath pieces of flotsam, such as loose timber or discarded food crates. They use these flotsam as refuge, and as a safe base from which to search for food. They are not great swimmers, so they rely on their excellent eyesight to help them find crabs, prawns and lobsters among the weed and rocks. Once they have located their prey, they use their large, sharp teeth and very powerful jaws to break the shell of their prey, so they can then eat the meat underneath.

The Trigger Fish gets its name from the large spine at the front of its dorsal fin. If threatened, it erects this spine to make itself look larger and more fearsome, and if attacked the Trigger fish will often dive into a gap between two rocks and use its spine to wedge itself in place, so it can remain stuck there until it is once again safe for it to come out.

The Trigger fish is normally a very bold, inquisitive fish, however, and will have no hesitation in approaching a diver to see what the diver is up to. But they are also territorial and can be extremely aggressive, and if they decide the diver is straying on to “their patch” then they can attack with their sharp teeth! They normally mix quite well with other Trigger fish, but they will not tolerate fish of other species in their space, and will attack anything which they find a nuisance. This is why all our Trigger fish are together in a tank of their own.

During the warm months of july and august, Trigger fish are quite common round the Irish coast, and can even be seen swimming round piers and harbours, no doubt in search of a tasty crab or prawn upon which to feast. It is not known whether the Trigger Fish that come to Ireland are able to find their way back to warmer waters at the end of the Summer, or whether they perish off our coast during the cold winter months.

I used to do a lot of diving all along the west coast but I've never seen them. As they're a warm water fish coming from the mediteranium I'm guessing they're mostly seen along the south coast. Has anyone seen them in the west or north-west?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I know they have been reported around Clifden as well. So definately West coast not sure about NW, I haven't heard of any from there but thats not to say they don't occur. They enter lobster pots as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

They were swimming in and around the rocks near the shore in the cove. Didnt seem to phased by humans !! Local fisherman said they are a delicacy, you'd pay big bucks for them !!

A piece of two by one, a bit of blue masking tape and a few nails! Now sir i have to say respect for catching fish in that manner!! I'd say it's very satisfying. Must give it a go sometime myself. A bit of a Bere grylls moment.

• Advertisement

Ah it was a moment straight out of Robinson Crusoe or Castaway !! Have to say was the best part of the trip, next was eating the beggar :D

Real boys stuff hunting fish with spears :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Ah it was a moment straight out of Robinson Crusoe or Castaway !! Have to say was the best part of the trip, next was eating the beggar :D

Real boys stuff hunting fish with spears :)

i seen a fella on the brosna once tfox, around ballinagore, wit a bow and arrow with a string attached, i sh1t you not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Dusty87 wrote: »
    i seen a fella on the brosna once tfox, around ballinagore, wit a bow and arrow with a string attached, i sh1t you not.

Its illegal in freshwater, so yer man on the Brosna was breaking the law. OK in the sea, I don't know of any law prohibiting spear fishing like this in saltwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Zzippy wrote: »
    Its illegal in freshwater, so yer man on the Brosna was breaking the law. OK in the sea, I don't know of any law prohibiting spear fishing like this in saltwater.

AFAIK, it's ok to spear-fish in saltwater from above water or using snorkeling gear but it's illegal to spear-fish with SCUBA gear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

aidanf wrote: »
    AFAIK, it's ok to spear-fish in saltwater from above water or using snorkeling gear but it's illegal to spear-fish with SCUBA gear.

Exactly, which is why I said spear fishing like this (as the OP posted) was ok. There is a further restriction on spear fishing too, more to do with firearms legislation - you can use a band spear gun but not a gas-powered/pneumatic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bang2

we saw trigger fish while diving in keem bay about 5 years ago, was surprised to see them, had only seen them in warm waters before

:DHey, iv a speargun for sale if your sick of the stick?!:D

:DHey, iv a speargun for sale if your sick of the stick?!:D

Nothing wrong with my stick with nails tied to it, works a treat :D

Nothing wrong with my stick with nails tied to it, works a treat :D

:Ddeadly!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I hit one of these last year while spear fishing in west cork.I left him go as i had only winged him and wasn't sure of the legality's of keeping triggers but iv been seen them with a few years.There a strange fish very dense and hard this kinda put me off wanting to eat them but ill give it a go now .Did you fillet him of cook him whole?

Advertisement