Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural Imagery in TV Advertising

Options
  • 14-08-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

In a similar vein to the info on a lot of threads here recently about symbols and meanings in popular videos and music (ie. The Vigilant Citizen), I've noticed this a lot more in TV ads recently. For example, this ad from Gucci, shows a beautiful young woman, becoming possessed by something, and then using what appear to be supernatural powers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykXkmVURI-w

In a follow up shorter ad, there's less emphasis on her "possession" and use of the powers. Although its obviously speeded up, which in some ways, makes it more supernatural. It's almost just a reminder or reinforcement of the previous ad. Although this technique is common in TV advertising were each second costs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpDoklTEz8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

never saw that ad before - that's vanessa paradis isn't it?
    ok, i suppose you could read it that she becomes possessed and uses supernatural powers. or you might say that the supernatural is a feeling of "love" which surrounds her and overcomes her with bliss presumably like the fragrance they're flogging.

the idea of the supernatural, and superpowers have been done in stories and narratives since forever, and definitely in marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭darad

Yeah I hate that ad, it always struck me as being a bit freaky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i think the apparent emphasis is on the scent is a spirit body and the woman "enjoys" the aroma of it as it passes through her

Advertisement