Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw food diet?

Options
  • 14-08-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭

I have visitors coming to my house soon who I know follow some sort of raw food diet. I am completely ignorant as to what this is bar a relatives assertion that it is some form of vegetarianism, and involves eating raw things. Google tells me its a weight loss thing but I think thats something different. As I would like to be accommodating to my guests needs I was wondering if anyone here could enlighten me and perhaps give me some examples of meals I could prepare for them.

Sorry if I seem completely ignorant, but its because I am! Also, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place/missed a thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some threads mentioning them here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055601795&highlight=foodist
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055834340&highlight=foodist

We have a few posters who follow such a diet(MentalMiss etc), maybe they can help.

Basically I think it entails eating uncooked and processed foods, nothing to do with losing weight by nature. They don't have to be vegetarian/vegan but often are. I think they believe raw foods has their own enzymes that can be used instead of the bodies and that they die of over 46 degrees or some such.

Foods they may eat, depending on their diet are: vegetables, seeds, fruit, nuts, some meats, eggs, unpasteurized/homogenized milk, cheese, yoghurt etc

It sounds difficult, you can't have things like most nuts etc, you need raw ones for example. Some nuts are heated to remove the shell and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Maybe buy some of the sprouted beans that living foods do. (You need them fresh, so buy them when your visitors are about to arrive.) I can't say I've ever catered for a raw foodist before... Plenty of fruit and veg in the fridge can't be a bad place to start! I'm sure they will be happy to prepare it the way they like if it's available to them. And as Tar said, check what they do/don't eat, such as unpasteurised milk - you may need to source that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Thanks for your replies, they were very helpful. It was market day today so I already have a substantial stock of organic fruit and veg in the house (most of which I never would have considered digestible raw, but thats probably conditioning not fact) so thats a good base, nuts and seeds are something I have but not in high quantities and I would imagine most have gone through some form of processing. Eggs and unpasteurized dairy I can get off my neighbor if it turns out its required..

Wow thanks you've made this sound very simple, actually more-so than those pesky picky eaters I can't abide catering for.. I'm feeling quite comfortable with this now, would still be interested in a link to a recipe site if anyone knows one, purely to get an idea of flavors and what you can do with these things.. all I can think of is various salads.. And another question, more out of curiosity than intent, through following links from here I have found a lot of references to dehydrated foods, and I was told that my guests "have a cool machine that dries stuff out" (I'm guessing a dehydrator..), what is the reasoning behind this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Dehydrator is a special kinda 'oven' that raw foodies use to 'cook' their food, it basically ensures that temp is very low so enzymes are not destroyed. you can make all sorts of crazy stuff with one of those things but they are expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

good to know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Foods they may eat, depending on their diet are: vegetables, seeds, fruit, nuts, some meats, eggs, unpasteurized/homogenized milk, cheese, yoghurt etc

i dont think meat and egg is on the list of edibles
    i was living in New Zealand for a while and stayed with ''rawies' for a month
    they never had meat or egg but it could just be them :D

now here's a great link i practically lived off these in NZ there called bliss balls highly nutritious and energising some days (not many tho) i would just eat 4-5 of these alongside some water :D and it would keep me going
    and it didnt help that there was an organic store just down the road selling them for $2 :D

http://thehealthylivinglounge.com/2008/09/12/snack-happy-with-bliss-balls/

ENJOY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i dont think meat and egg is on the list of edibles
    i was living in New Zealand for a while and stayed with ''rawies' for a month
    they never had meat or egg but it could just be them :D

now here's a great link i practically lived off these in NZ there called bliss balls highly nutritious and energising some days (not many tho) i would just eat 4-5 of these alongside some water :D and it would keep me going
    and it didnt help that there was an organic store just down the road selling them for $2 :D

http://thehealthylivinglounge.com/2008/09/12/snack-happy-with-bliss-balls/

ENJOY :D

They look fabulous! iv seen something like that in govindas, wonder are they the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EthicRanger

sorry for late answer. Next time just simply let them join this group. I'm one of organisers :

go to: http://www.meetup.com/The-Irish-Raw-Food-Meetup-Group/files/
    download:
    profoundlyrawrecipes
    Raw Recipes- Inspiring recipes offered by 12 raw food chefs!

If you live around Bray, here might be a space even for short time, where your guests will be happy: www.daft.ie/3584405 Bigest discounts for Low Fat Raw Foodists possible their ;)

Advertisement