Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 degree mono LNB question

Options
  • 14-08-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭

folks
    atm iv a single LNB pointing 16e but im hoping to have 13e and 16e

if I take out the single LNB and replace it with the 3 degree lnb should I automatically get 13e and 16e or is it more complex than that ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Headshot wrote: »
    folks
    atm iv a single LNB pointing 16e but im hoping to have 13e and 16e

if I take out the single LNB and replace it with the 3 degree lnb should I automatically get 13e and 16e or is it more complex than that ?

It aint that simple.

the lnb at 13e should be to the left of the main lnb pointing at 16 if standing behind the dish and will probably need to be inclined somewhat. Trial and error I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

redout wrote: »
    It aint that simple.

the lnb at 13e should be to the left of the main lnb pointing at 16 if standing behind the dish and will probably need to be inclined somewhat. Trial and error I suppose.

so the black connector should go on the right of the LNB, that right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Satellite on OP's request.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

1) You need a big dish for 16E
    2) Monoblock LNBs are only a particular degree separation for a particular F/d dish and particular country. 13E and 16E are less separation in west of Ireland than they are in Hungary.

To reliably get 16E here and 13E you need a 1.2m or larger dish that has a slightly different F/D such that a pair of separate Alps LNBFs just touching get 13E and 16E.

Most monoblocks have spacing for German market and thus will give reduced output on one of the two satellites here.

iv the dish up and picking up 16e no bother

and this is the lnb i have
    http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/monoblock.htm#inverto3degreesingle

• Advertisement

What signal % you getting on Super Sport 1 ?

redout wrote: »
    What signal % you getting on Super Sport 1 ?

63%

63%

Yeah thats good - will definitely be able to get a picture with that.

What size dish?
    What's it like when it rains?

BTW Signal level folks is meaningless. It's BER or Quality % that counts as the level can be high due high power IF amp in newer LNBs.

watty wrote: »
    What size dish?
    What's it like when it rains?

BTW Signal level folks is meaningless. It's BER or Quality % that counts as the level can be high due high power IF amp in newer LNBs.

1.2 dish and I dont know what its like when it rains.
    signal strength 60% and quality is 63%

its an old LNB.

look returning my op do i need a satellite meter or can i just pop the 3 degree lnb in

• Advertisement

It will need re-alinged.
    You might manage it looking at quality bar on set-box.

There is no assurange that the horn spacing is correct for 13 and 16. Align on 16 only as 13E is much stronger.

Looking at face of dish, the 16E will be left/western side of arm and 13E the right/eastern side of arm. If the bracket to arm is at center of the two horns then the horns will be at 17.5E and 14.5 approx until dish is realigned. The Monoblock needs to be slightly tilted. (Left horn higher).

A monoblock is a poor solution other than in country it's designed for with dish intended and strong signal as skew can't be adjusted separately for each LNB and the exact separation (varies with location and dish type) can't be adjusted.

Two of these and a bar with external 4 way diseqc switch is a better solution.
    http://www.satshop.tv/Alps-Universal-Single-LNB
    alps-S_Alps-Universal-Single-LNB.jpg
    I have tested both approaches and done the maths. That's why I'm saying this.

It's complex to add 3rd and 4th LNBs to Monoblock as the switch is internal.
    124201.jpg
    Typical Triax multi-feed bar that can cover 13E to 28E

95cm Triax with multifeed
    124202.jpg
    This one has 28E, 23.5E VSAT, 19E and 13E. The regular TV is using Quattro LNBs for a 17x16 EMP Centauri Multiswitch.

The extreme right are 13E and 19E. In fact my dish was aligned exactly at 16E to give maximum on 13E and 19E.

You can see that using the skinny Alps above that 13, 16, 19 and 28 is possible. As 16 is weakest it would be closest to arm. The Triax LNB brackets are offset and reversible so an LNB on the Bar can "overhang" the centre of arm from Left or Right side of the Triax adaptor multifeed bar.

Since Sky is VERY strong I redrill a new hole 1/3 along instead of centre hole. Also the bar is designed for mainland Europe. Here for 13E to 28E you need more slope on it, so you mount the bar with hole at bottom instead of top so it can tilt more (by flip over compared to assembly drawing). With original centred hole the dish would have to point at about 20E to fit 13E to 28E on the bar.

With the bar and holders the skew of each LNB can be individually adjusted.

The Monoblock skew limitation is also on a Motorised dish as not all satellites are same alignment. Really professional LNBs and set box for motorised have per satellite or even per channel electronic skew adjustment.

watty i finally got everything up and going this weekend but its fair windy and raining outside and its interfering with my picture

I just want you advice on this setup

the pole its self is a couple of feet in the ground

motor.jpg

im thinking its needs support at the top which means the pole/dish will need to come down

what do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

1st of all mate your T & K brackets are to close to each other. 2nd, drop the motor and dish lower down the pole as then it will reduce the pole wobble in wind. 3rd, i'd use a much shorter pole as well, possibly bigger in diameter.

Idealy, the motor should be mounted in between the T & K bracket, not above!

Fatter pole.

I think, snaps, the TK are Ok as the end of the pole is buried in the ground.

The best that can be done without a much heavier pole is to have bottom of dish just above roof.

The pole for my motorised is a thick wall approx 6cm / 2.5" And I regard it as a little on the light side. It's not as high on pole either I don't think.

126677.jpg
    Centre dish is Triax 110cm Motorised on SG2100. Coax runs inside dish arm.

The "small" looking dish on left is 95cm
    The right hand dish feeds 28, 23.5, 19, 13E Quattros to a 17x 16 EMP Centauri Multiswitch. I will try it with 28, 19, 13 and 9E Ka (only a single feed Ka LNBF needed) next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

Fatter pole.

I think, snaps, the TK are Ok as the end of the pole is buried in the ground.

The best that can be done without a much heavier pole is to have bottom of dish just above roof.

The pole for my motorised is a thick wall approx 6cm / 2.5" And I regard it as a little on the light side. It's not as high on pole either I don't think.

126677.jpg
    Centre dish is Triax 110cm Motorised on SG2100. Coax runs inside dish arm.

The "small" looking dish on left is 95cm
    The right hand dish feeds 28, 23.5, 19, 13E Quattros to a 17x 16 EMP Centauri Multiswitch. I will try it with 28, 19, 13 and 9E Ka (only a single feed Ka LNBF needed) next year.

Nice setup watty, I also have a 96cm channelmaster, which is not in use at the minute.

I am going to move the dish, its on a 3 inch pole which is concreted into the ground, but i was looking for a 3 inch L bracked if there are any, do you know of any.

Where is your channel master pointing at.

It's a place holder :)

It's a place holder :)

What's a place holder ?

more than one dish or a dish over 1m needs planning permission.

but...

more than one dish or a dish over 1m needs planning permission.

but...

But is that just not in the uk.

no.
    In Uk limit may be 1 x 90cm dish. Not sure.

• Advertisement

so this is my new setup

The pole is fatter and the dish is lower down

The surprising thing is I can only get 50% SNR on 15.8e and 63% on 13e
    They seem low dont they especially 15.8. I was getting 60-70 on my old setup, maybe its the image that doesnt give an accurate SNR? Im not sure

Advertisement