Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lines on Dock Road

Options
  • 14-08-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

anyone any idea whats with the white dotted lines painted outside Dolans on the Dock Road. Please don't tell me they are to re-instate parking along that strip just as Dolans requested (or so the local papers have insinuated). Traffic moves along very nicely on Dock Road with the 2 lanes and more especially now with the tunnel. If this is to happen, its surely a step backwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Maybe it is for parking, I'd imagine they would want the dock rd to return to single lane carriageway as they would want people to use the ring road/tunnel as opposed to using the city for traffic access

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah saw those lines over the last few weeks. I hope it is not for parking, as I will mean two lanes coming from the Jurys Roundabout until the three pubs, then the two lanes will be forced to try and merge for about 50 yards, then becoming two lanes again right where the Alphonsus street junction is, then becoming one lane again near the second Topaz station.

Would also mean that cars pulling out from the Alphonsus junction could have their view of traffic coming from the city blocked by parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

not denying the tunnel isn't great for some routes but there are lots of routes where it is of no real benefit other than having less cars through the city. traffic leaving the city centre area shouldn't be hindered by parking - keep the main roads into and out of city moving quickly should be the priority. Would have thought nothing should have been changed until a good six months after tunnel opens to get a good picture of what traffic volumes are like.

Well we are living in a bit of a fantasy world at the moment because the schools are off - we will only really see the change when they are back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mc Love wrote: »
    Maybe it is for parking, I'd imagine they would want the dock rd to return to single lane carriageway as they would want people to use the ring road/tunnel as opposed to using the city for traffic access

I had a horrible feeling that they might pull a stunt like this.

The tunnel is tolled, and therefore should be an OPTION.

If necessary, they should reduce the toll to encourage people to use it, not put obstacles in their way to create a monopoly scenario for the tunnel operators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

There was an article in post i think about how Dolans wanted their parking back, as they have lost a lot of business.

I would say though the loss of business has nothing to do with parking but recession.
    As we see from all the other empty pubs in city.

Dolans must have great contacts in limerick city council as they look after the pub and not the thousands of drivers.

Nothing against Dolans i like the pub. But isn't there a car park accross the road.

There was an article in post i think about how Dolans wanted their parking back, as they have lost a lot of business.

I would say though the loss of business has nothing to do with parking but recession.
    As we see from all the other empty pubs in city.

Dolans must have great contacts in limerick city council as they look after the pub and not the thousands of drivers.

Nothing against Dolans i like the pub. But isn't there a car park accross the road.

Ever try parking there? Not the best is all I am saying (even for residents i know that have lived there)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd imagine it's a parking bay for off peak times. I really don't see an issue with it once they enforce the No Parking at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

There was on street parking outside Dolans when Mick opened the place and after he expanded the place. The City Council then took it away and this must have impacted on his business greatly.
    Dolan's provides a greta city music venue and should he helped, not hindered, by the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

The lack of parking can't realistically have had a major inmpact on the reason for decreased numbers in the pub, it was only ever about 6/7 parking spaces anyway but to reintroduce it would have a big effect on traffic flow. can't customers just walk the few hundred yards from adjoining streets.

Seeing as drivers have such a disregard to yellow lines across the city and no tickets are ever given out, how do you think it would be enforced in this area?

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's a parking bay for off peak times. I really don't see an issue with it once they enforce the No Parking at peak times.

With the state of driving in this country some eejit will probably drive into the back of one of the parked cars if this was to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »
    With the state of driving in this country some eejit will probably drive into the back of one of the parked cars if this was to happen

I've never seen to happen on clearways or on the Ennis Rd, near the Clarions Suites on match days.

It's doable and there really isn't much need for two lanes heading out the dock road after about 19:00hrs.

there really isn't much need for two lanes heading out the dock road after about 19:00hrs.

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That 2 lanes merging in to 1 at the topaz is laughable stuff.
    As for Dolans getting parking spaces the comedy continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Are these lines painted green? :D

God, I hate green paint. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I had a horrible feeling that they might pull a stunt like this.

The tunnel is tolled, and therefore should be an OPTION.

If necessary, they should reduce the toll to encourage people to use it, not put obstacles in their way to create a monopoly scenario for the tunnel operators.

It's getting a bit boring at this stage.
    A few parking spaces creating a "monopoly scenario". Get a grip will you.

If these few parking space encouraged even two tour buses a week to stop in Limerick/Dolans for food and drink it would provide a nice boost to those premises. Some people need to take it easy with the amatuer dramatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

This suggestion would make the most sense to me. The lane stays open for traffic during the day, and could become an official parking space at night. That way traffic would be allowed to flow as it does now during the hours when there is the most traffic, and later in the day it could be a parking space for potential customers for the pubs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

They should not allow on road parking here. It's dangerous. It's a two lane road so by rights the right lane is an overtaking lane, the left lane is for driving not parking.

If they really want parking outside their door they should put it on the footpath. It's wide enough there to handle a couple of car parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Twin-go wrote: »
    It's a two lane road so by rights the left lane in an overtaking lane, the right lane is for driving not parking.

What?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

They should not allow on road parking here. It's dangerous. It's a two lane road so by rights the left lane in an overtaking lane, the right lane is for driving not parking.

If they really want parking outside their door they should put it on the footpath. It's wide enough there to handle a couple of car parking spaces.

o_rly.jpg

• Advertisement

Calling all cars, calling all cars, be on the lookout for twin-go!
    The suspect should be easy to identify as he undertakes on the inside lane by dolans, as he laments the lack of available parking!
    Suspect is to be considered dangerous and confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

?gnorw stahw

?gnorw stahw

The prosecution rests its case m'lord.....

Advertisement