Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pats Ty Warren Out for Season

Options
  • 14-08-2010 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭

Huge Blow

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5461855
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots defensive end Ty Warren's hip injury was serious enough to cost him the 2010 season, as the team placed him on season-ending injured reserve Friday afternoon.

The injury is similar to what New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez had -- a labral tear. The injury is not considered career-threatening, but will require surgery, which Warren said is scheduled for Monday in Vail, Colo.

Losing Warren is a big blow to the Patriots, as he's been a fixture at left defensive end in the team's 3-4 alignment. He has started 92 of 105 games since the Patriots selected him in the first round of the 2003 NFL Draft, recording 496 tackles, 20.5 sacks and four forced fumbles.

"It's a tough break for Ty, but we have to move on," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Friday. "He's missed quite a bit of time the last couple of years. We've had to deal with that anyway. It's unfortunate, but unfortunately that's part of the game. We'll just move ahead."

Warren's role is unsung, as defensive ends in the team's system are asked to tie up blockers, doing the dirty work for linebackers behind them to make plays.

Veteran Gerard Warren lined up at that spot in Thursday's preseason opener against the New Orleans Saints. Veteran Damione Lewis was the top backup, followed by rookie Kade Weston, a seventh-round draft choice.

Both Gerard Warren and Lewis are playing in a 3-4 defense for the first time of their 10-year careers. Belichick commended Gerard Warren's work in training camp and in Thursday's game.

"I think he's made the transition pretty well," Belichick said. "I think he will have a good ability to contribute for us this year based on what I've seen so far."

As for Lewis, Belichick said, "I think he's coming along and making good progress in our system. I think he can help us this year."

The Patriots don't only lose a sturdy presence on the line of scrimmage without Ty Warren, but also a leader in the locker room.

"The things that he does for the people around him and us, it goes unspoken," defensive line coach Pepper Johnson said Tuesday. "He is a strong character in the locker room. He is a strong character in our meetings. He's a stand-up guy. He's a guy that if he misses a play, or if he blows a play out there on the field, he stands up and says 'that was me and that's not going to happen again.' You can't have enough of those type of guys out on the field."

In placing Warren on injured reserve, the Patriots filled his roster spot by reinstating veteran outside linebacker/rush defensive end Derrick Burgess to the active roster. Burgess, who had not reported to training camp, arrived at the team's facility Friday morning and passed his physical and conditioning test.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Really bad. I always liked Warren, he's a great worker and one year got 7.5 sacks. Apparently Derrick Burgess has been reinstated.

The good news is that Derrick Burgess appears to be on his way back to the team.

The Patriots reinstated Burgess to their active roster. We'll try to get confirmation that he's indeed re-joining the team, but that's the only logical conclusion to make.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well having been following Training Camp I am glad to say that this is not such a huge blow. Gerard Warren and Damione Lewis were two inspired pickups by BB and while Pryor hasn't set the world alight yet he is another really good guy to have and then of course there is Mike Wright and Burgess is back too although he would never be part of a 3 man front but it does look like we will be spending more time with a four man front this year.

Love Ty and hate to lose him but we are in better shape than expected with the big guys thankfully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Torry Holt now done too. that could be his career done as well, so maybe deserves his own thread rather than lumping him in with Ty Warren!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

bruschi wrote: »
    Torry Holt now done too. that could be his career done as well, so maybe deserves his own thread rather than lumping him in with Ty Warren!

sad way to end your career

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well having been following Training Camp I am glad to say that this is not such a huge blow. Gerard Warren and Damione Lewis were two inspired pickups by BB and while Pryor hasn't set the world alight yet he is another really good guy to have and then of course there is Mike Wright and Burgess is back too although he would never be part of a 3 man front but it does look like we will be spending more time with a four man front this year.

Love Ty and hate to lose him but we are in better shape than expected with the big guys thankfully.

:pac: Wait till regular season starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »

Just coming back to this forgot to reply to it before. Lewis right now is struggling with the Pats scheme and to be honest with you from what I have been seeing I don't think he is out answer to anything right now. Gerry Warren definitely seems to be doing everything right and Pryor's progress is promising also. But it will be interesting to watch these guys in action against the Falcons well except Lewis as he was left out and didn't take part in the combined practices. Until I see these guys in an actual competitive game I will reserve my judgement. At least with Ty we knew what we were getting and this makes me uncomfortable with Our D-line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

So much for Derrick Burgess playing a part this season. He's been cut. Brandon McGowan is also out for the season.

Advertisement