Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biting fingernails

Options
  • 14-08-2010 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I'm certain I saw a thread on this before.
    I did search boards, couldn't find it.
    If a mod wants to close or merge my thread, that's cool.

For as long as I can remember I've done this.
    In fact I chew the soft fleshy part of my fingers too. If there is a loose piece of skin I'd pick at it. At worst, you'll see dried blood on my fingers, that's rare though.

This is disgusting to write, ewwwwww :p

When I sit on the bus I see people doing this, that's a terrible habit I say to myself.

But I do it myself, even in the office so I bet people think I'm the one with the terrible habit.
    I can't judge other people when I do the exact same

Any solutions, I'm desperate to change but willpower ain't doing it :o
    Any gentlemen in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Wash your hands with TCP every morning.

You won't want to put them in your mouth after that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I bite my nails. I've given up trying to stop it to be honest. I do it unconsciously most of the time. I'd be open to giving it another bash with somebody though. Might be easier if a few people tried it together for support or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Khannie wrote: »
    Might be easier if a few people tried it together for support or whatever.

We should request a new forum :D

Not too sure on the TCP but I'll check it out, thanks

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I tend to bite the hair from the back of my fingers alot and pick my nails till the tips get really sore, lol! Must try the TCP so!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I do it all the time, one of my lesser annoying nervous habbits brought on from stress, the others are a hell of a lot more annoying. Anyways, I've resolved myself to let the habit slide, hey if biting my fingernails reduces my stress slightly then I'm happy with that, I'd rather have bit fingernails than the usual stress induced baldness :rolleyes: . I'm not as bad as some of my friends though who bite the skin until it bleeds.

Anyways, as the earlier poster said, use TCP or paint your nails in a clear varnish . Seriously, One taste of TCP and you'd rather lick the arse end of a skunk before biting your nails again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I bit my nails for most of my life up until about a year ago. It got to the point where I was considering hypnosis to help me stop, but just before I gave it a try something clicked in my head and suddently my willpower started to work. Ive no idea why. Might be worth trying the hynosis; I know several people who have used it for a variety of things and been very happy with the results, including one woman who smoked 20-30 a day for years until she underwent hynosis and hasnt smoked a single one since (been several years now).

It also helps if you think of everything you touch with your hands over the course of a day, how many times you go to the toilet, all the money you touch, the dirt you would accumilate on your hands, then consider that hand washing might well not get it all off, and what it doesnt clean youre putting into your mouth; think about it hard enough and youll stop in disgust pretty fast!

Just to give you an indication of how many germs are on your fingers; when I was biting my nails I used to have nearly constant mouth ulcers, and now that Ive stopped I almost never get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Just be mindful next time you get the urge and dont do it. I used to bite mine all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Just be mindful next time you get the urge and dont do it. I used to bite mine all the time.

Unfortunately its not always as easy as that; 90% of the time I didnt even realise I was doing it. It takes an awful lot of concentration and willpower to stop the habit of nailbiting; its not like smoking where one could argue that in theory it should be easier just to not walk into a shop and buy cigarettes (Im not saying giving up smoking is any easier, but it least it involves a conscious action that can be stopped).

Another thing that might help that a friend told me helped him is to carry a small nail clippers around and clip your nails on a regular basis. It keeps them short and therefore harder to bite, and it might help break the subconscious habit of putting your nails to your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Citroen2cv

I havent bit my fingernail since I got my braces on my teeth, well I cant bite them. Hopefully when the braces come off, I will have got out of the habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I do.

if i dont bite, I'll take a nail clippers to them so putting tcp on them wont do **** bar agitate me!

halp!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Zombie thread-locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

I also have a problem with biting my nails, I'm after doing exams and my nails are in bits, they just look horrible.

Its an unconscious thing I do, I once gave up for about two months, my hands looked fantastic but it was incredibly hard and a constant, draining battle, I eventually started again "only a little" but of course my hands got into a state again

Whats this TCP stuff? When I was a kid my mam used to put this horrible tasting stuff on my nails but it never stopped me!

I know this is a old thread but I hope the mod will leave it open

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement