Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!My Dog is ignoring me!?!?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

We adopted a dog in May - she was 6 months when we got her from rescue center and she is 9 months now - just in the last 3 weeks she has turned on me - she ignores my commands and turns the other way when I am speaking to her esp when my OH is not around - thought I was imagining it but now it has become worse and more frequent - BTW she still obeys all my OH commands!!when my OH goes to work she gets up and goes into the other room and completely ignores me for the rest of the evening - even when I offer bribes - I am at my wits end - I've been rejected by my dog :( has anyone any advice??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You could try getting another pet, perhaps a younger puppy, a golden retriever or labrador, to make the other dog jealous? A young blonde will do it every time. Then start up a livejournal and post lots of moody pics of yourself writing poetry, and post about how you're trying to find your feet in the world and it's all a bit unstable, but you're sure you're a good person despite what feedback you're getting from your semi-ex-dog. That semi-ex-dog was never right for you anyway, and if it really understood you, it'd realise what it was letting go. It's just chasing after what it can't have, which is why it's pining for your OH. In fact, if that dog had any guts it would tell you to your face the whole thing is over, but the coward won't do it, I bet it's going to eke the whole thing out, hoping your relationship will die a natural death or that you'll do the dirty work for it. That's just its style, in fact, the no-good passive aggressive user.

You're better off without it, in fact. You were always a cat person anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Eh...RELAX is my advice.Seriously! What did you expect in a dog? No offense but she probably needs a break from you if you're that needy for her attention. If that sounds harsh then so be it. Let her be, she might just be a quiet dog that doesnt need constant attention.

Also...ignore whatever "slutmonkey" just said. God almighty too many things wrong with that post to mention :rolleyes:

Edit:sltumonkeys post is actually quite funny if ya read it in a sarcastic tone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Nooooo... really?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

s_upergirl wrote: »
    We adopted a dog in May - she was 6 months when we got her from rescue center and she is 9 months now - just in the last 3 weeks she has turned on me - she ignores my commands and turns the other way when I am speaking to her esp when my OH is not around - thought I was imagining it but now it has become worse and more frequent - BTW she still obeys all my OH commands!!when my OH goes to work she gets up and goes into the other room and completely ignores me for the rest of the evening - even when I offer bribes - I am at my wits end - I've been rejected by my dog :( has anyone any advice??????
    Sounds like he's the pack leader and that they see you as - well, the Omega. You need to address this by being more Assertive. Your worry-fullness about it shows in your post; You speak with your tone and your body language. If your body language says Please Pretty Please aww Cmon, they won't respond. You need to be to be firm with them, but not mean. "Dog: No bullsh*tting. Come here." No anger, just firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Who feeds the dog? takes it for walks, plays with it etc? If it is not you, then maybe by taking over these roles you might help the relationship.

My dogs have this sort of relationship with my daughter and it is purely down to the fact that I do everything with them. She is irrelevant in their lives. To a certain extent I have fostered that relationship as my Springer is rather volatile plus she really doesn't have a huge amount of interest in them which they know, they are my babies :p

I am trying to rebuild her realtionship with my Jack and we are doing this by ensuring my daughter is the one who plays with her on walks, and giver her tasty treats when she behaves, this is starting to work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Dog's nine months old. She's a teenager. What you're facing is teenaged rebellion. It's not uncommon for a dog that was biddable at six months to go through a phase of ignoring its owner and being an obnoxious teen for a few months from nine months onwards.

Relax, establish your authority by staying calm, make things more interesting with treats and games, and wait it out - it'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

ignore that comment about getting another one and making it jealous.this generally happens with rescue dogs but theyd be older(not six motnhs)

as they tend to have been neglected and never had someone care for them,so they bond very strongly with someone that shows them love at first.

probably whats happened is that your OH does alll the walking,feeding,playing
    the way to bond with a dog is to take it for a good walk.id also sugest you become the only source of food.,you do all the feeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

You could try getting another pet, perhaps a younger puppy, a golden retriever or labrador, to make the other dog jealous? A young blonde will do it every time. Then start up a livejournal and post lots of moody pics of yourself writing poetry, and post about how you're trying to find your feet in the world and it's all a bit unstable, but you're sure you're a good person despite what feedback you're getting from your semi-ex-dog. That semi-ex-dog was never right for you anyway, and if it really understood you, it'd realise what it was letting go. It's just chasing after what it can't have, which is why it's pining for your OH. In fact, if that dog had any guts it would tell you to your face the whole thing is over, but the coward won't do it, I bet it's going to eke the whole thing out, hoping your relationship will die a natural death or that you'll do the dirty work for it. That's just its style, in fact, the no-good passive aggressive user.

You're better off without it, in fact. You were always a cat person anyway.

Thats the strangest post I've read in a long time:rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the point, I'd agree with the previous poster, she a teenager atm, pups will go through different stages, it sounds like shes in the 'teenage brat stage' atm.:p:D
    Just go back to basics with her. Try to play a lot with her, its a great way to build up a good bond between you and your dog:)

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dog's nine months old. She's a teenager. What you're facing is teenaged rebellion. It's not uncommon for a dog that was biddable at six months to go through a phase of ignoring its owner and being an obnoxious teen for a few months from nine months onwards.

Relax, establish your authority by staying calm, make things more interesting with treats and games, and wait it out - it'll pass.

+1 Our guy was the same at around 10-11 months for a few weeks but it was just a phase - he's back to being a good puppy now and everyone always comments on how good he is! :D

EDIT - just to add if she starts being bold don't entertain her because the attention will just encourage her - tell her no/whatever your bold word is, turn you back and fold your arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 s_upergirl

Thanks to everyone who replied with helpful advice and reassurance - I've looked up a few things online and yeah agree that it is prob a teenage phase of puppiness - my OH also thinks she might be trying to take the alpha female role from me - so I'll just try reassert my authority - she's a great little dog and I want to keep it that way - just frustrating that I'll be giving her a command and she'll totally ignore me and then the other half will say the same thing and she'll do it after ignoring me for 10mins!!glad to hear other people have been through it and not just something I am doing!!

Slutmonkey - your reply did actually make me laugh so thanks for that:)

And a note to anniehoo - I asked for help - snotty comments were not required - if you'd read the post properly its not that I'm needy - I wasn't asking to have her glued to my hip - its about having a level of authority with her and respect!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement