Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Makeup Brushes

Options
  • 13-08-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good value set of makeup brushes? I've been looking on line and it's hard to tell what products are good, as beauty bloggers tend to give good reviews to get free stuff. I've heard Sephora and ELf are good, and am really curious about Sigma brushes, if anyone's ordered any of these I'd love to hear about it. Also any tips on Drugstore brushes would be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Hey Coastel Scents do really good value brush sets that are cheap and good quality.

They also come in lovely cases and pretty colours :D

blackset.jpg

Redset.jpg

purpleset.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

Did you buy a set yourself? Which ones do you find you use the most? Sorry I just really want a kit that has ALL (well a decent amount) of the brushes that you'd use day to day, and not just filler brushes to make up numbers for a set!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Ecotools do nice ones too.

Do you know what site is best to get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

My cousin did alot of research on Coastel Scents and found out that their a mass production company so basically you can get many of their products on ebay or amazon.

I have got the 15 piece Black reptile brush set and I do find them great.

You can buy the set here for only 23.19 Euro and it's FREE postage and packaging! :D

http://cgi.ebay.ie/15-pcs-MakeUp-Brushes-Black-Deluxe-Reptile-Brush-Set-/170514112384?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_up_Cosmetics_Make_up_Brushes_PP

• Advertisement

Oh thanks, that's really good value, might just get these. Still torn between that and the sigma brushes though I've been reading about, they're nearer to 90 with the bag and postage though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Hi,I got these about 2 months ago http://cgi.ebay.ie/26-Natural-Animal-Wool-Makeup-Mineral-Brush-set-BS03-/280423108173?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_up_Cosmetics_Make_up_Brushes_PP

and I have to say they are brill and well priced!!! :o:o
    They are execllent for applying your make up,I'm a very happy bunny :D

Think I'll still go for the Sigma, they seems to have a really good few face brushes and the brush roll looks sooooo nice.

Think I'll pick up some eco tools as well for a back up set

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

the sigma brushes i got shed very easily, just an fyi. When i do my make up with them i have the little black hairs all oveer my face. Every time i wash them loads more come out too. I think they're probably alright for a beginner but personally i find the nars and dior brushes are the best out there, but they're pricey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

The bodyshop have good makeup brushes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Ecotools brushes are quite good if you're looking to get some for cheap that are half decent quality.

slowmoe wrote: »
    the sigma brushes i got shed very easily, just an fyi. When i do my make up with them i have the little black hairs all oveer my face. Every time i wash them loads more come out too. I think they're probably alright for a beginner but personally i find the nars and dior brushes are the best out there, but they're pricey :(

Oh really? Are they worth the money? I'v been reading that they are great but don't have the long term quailty of mac and makeup forever. Or are they just really bad? When did you get them do you mind me asking? Just that I've read they've improved some of the brushes at around May?

Ecotools brushes are quite good if you're looking to get some for cheap that are half decent quality.

I was looking at them in boots, but the whole shelf was higgility piggilty so couldn't find which one was which, ect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Sigma brushes are fantastic. Once you wash them properly a few times you shouldn't have any problems with shedding, and if you do, email the company and they'll help you out. :)

Sigma brushes are fantastic. Once you wash them properly a few times you shouldn't have any problems with shedding, and if you do, email the company and they'll help you out. :)

I think I will go make the splurge, that brush roll looks so pretty. Did you have to wait long for shipping? Just the site threatens up to 8 weeks if you don't get priority shipping which sounds annoying. Also do you recommend a dry brush cleanser for them over shampoo type one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Going to buy myself a new set of brushes.

Debating whether to go for the Coastel Scents set or a Mac set.

http://www.sigmabeauty.com/
    I have my eye on the 12 piece with the brush roll, if you're looking for something like mac but cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Shmatter wrote: »
    http://www.sigmabeauty.com/
    I have my eye on the 12 piece with the brush roll, if you're looking for something like mac but cheaper.

Ahhhh another one to add to the maybe list, i'm so confused :D

Ahhhh another one to add to the maybe list, i'm so confused :D

I know it's so tough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Oh really? Are they worth the money? I'v been reading that they are great but don't have the long term quailty of mac and makeup forever. Or are they just really bad? When did you get them do you mind me asking? Just that I've read they've improved some of the brushes at around May?

I think i got them around a year ago and they would be washed once a week to two weeks. I have the face and eyes set in a brush roll, think it was 80 or 90 dollars??? Tbh i think it was an ok price for the amount of brushees, they're easy to use and blend slightly better than average. I think the powder and the foundation brushes aren't great and have replaced those, but the airbrushed foundation brush is very good. They aren't of an equal standard which personally bugs me and endding up with black hairs over my face is annoying. I only use them on light day make up or if i have the time to de-hair myself as i find the load of little black hairs on my face embarrassing tbh. Since i've bought those i've been collecting other brushes. The nars foundation brush is great, most of my others are backstage dior brushes. They're weighted so heavy on one end which some people don't like but i find great. It just suits me. They're expensive though so i collect them one or two at a time. I use baby shampoo to clean them but i was told yesterday by a make up artist to use antibacterial soap on brushes that shed??? I will give it a go anyhow!!!

So if you want a lot of brushes quickly and cheap enough then yes go for sigma but if you have the patience to build a collection i would go between dior and nars.

I've tried clinique and lancome and didn't find them great either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I bought the Sigma brushes about a year and a half ago. I loved the powder brush at first but it started shedding on me then so I've replaced it with a cheapy Cosmopolitan brush thats working better for me now. The foundation brush is much better than my Mac 190 though. The skunk brush shedded on me but I heard they changed how this was made after I got this.

The eyebrushes are pretty good though. I use the pout airbrush for blush and have a Jemma Kidd skunk brush for foundation.

If you're only starting out I'd defo recommend the set but you can buy the brushes individually so it may work out better to just buy a few and see how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I think I will go make the splurge, that brush roll looks so pretty. Did you have to wait long for shipping? Just the site threatens up to 8 weeks if you don't get priority shipping which sounds annoying. Also do you recommend a dry brush cleanser for them over shampoo type one?

A week or two at most I think. :) I'm not sure what you mean about a dry brush cleanser. I usuallt spot clean them fairly regularly with a little toner or something similar. I wash them with baby shampoo every week or two. They come up nice and clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 8BlueBubbles

I also have the sigma brushes and I think that they're great :) Can't say that I have any major issues with shedding apart from the ss109 brush but the MAC 109 is also notorious for shedding so it must have something to do with the way that particular brush is made. Personally I think that they are great value for the number of brushes that you get in a set and I don't feel the need to buy any more brushes now that I have them!

I also have the sigma brushes and I think that they're great :) Can't say that I have any major issues with shedding apart from the ss109 brush but the MAC 109 is also notorious for shedding so it must have something to do with the way that particular brush is made. Personally I think that they are great value for the number of brushes that you get in a set and I don't feel the need to buy any more brushes now that I have them!

I just bought them, very excited about it. Just have to wait for them now, woohooooooooooo

Advertisement