Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 won't connect to the internet (wireless)

Options
  • 13-08-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I bought a Lenovo laptop yesterday and it will not connect to the internet. I have a wireless eircom modem. I have tried plugging it out, resetting it etc and to no avail. Rang eircom today and they disabled the security settings on the laptop and tried other things but it still will not connect. In the end they recommended just taking the laptop back. There is no problem with the internet as I have another computer that connects no problem to it.

I have looked around the internet and it seems to be a common problem with windows 7. However I am yet to come across a solution. Has anyone experienced this problem or does anyone know who I should contact to resolve the problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is it connecting to your wireless network at all.?
    When you scan for wireless networks does it see yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lou9

Yes when you click connect to, it is recognising the network but when you go on the internet it says problem loading page

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Does it detect network & ask you for network key?

Yes, I have entered the WEP key a few times and it still won't connect

Does is show limited connectivity or does it just keep trying to connect?
    Have you tried going into Network connections right clic & select repair.
    If that fails try right click disable & reenable.

Have you tried the laptop on any other wireless network?

• Advertisement

I'm not actually at home at the moment but I'll try those things tomorrow and I'll post back how I get on. Thanks

No problem le me know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

koolkid wrote: »
    Does is show limited connectivity or does it just keep trying to connect?
    Have you tried going into Network connections right clic & select repair.
    If that fails try right click disable & reenable.

Have you tried the laptop on any other wireless network?

yea it does show limited connectivity but when i try to open a page it just shows me the not connected to the internet page. ive tried all the windows troubleshooter and that cannot find the problem. I tried to disable and reenable there and that just showed limited connectivity when it came back on. Seems to be a common problem because there is loads of pages about it but cant find a solution anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I used to have this problem on a Windows 7 Hp laptop but a recent windows update seems to have fixed it for me.

In network connections right click on the wireless network & uninstall. Restart your PC & it will reinstall it. See if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,249 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Any reformat/new factory laptop has a good chance of resulting in no driver for your wireless device. Not the end of the world: Just plug into the ethernet and run windows update. Should find one. If it doesnt, go onto Lenovo's website and grab the driver for your model's wireless device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

thanks for the help lads, got it online by plugging it in with the cable and downloaded the windows up dates. After that I just deleted the network connection and tried it from scratch and it connected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jcurry

I purchased a Samsung i5 laptop in September. I had no problems until recently connecting to my eircom wireless network. Over the last month it has stopped seeing my eircom wireless network for no reason. I can only assume some recent windows update has changed something. Please help as I can no longer connect to my wireless network, which renders my laptop useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,249 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jcurry wrote: »
    I purchased a Samsung i5 laptop in September. I had no problems until recently connecting to my eircom wireless network. Over the last month it has stopped seeing my eircom wireless network for no reason. I can only assume some recent windows update has changed something. Please help as I can no longer connect to my wireless network, which renders my laptop useless.
    It cant see any networks at all? Have you tried the networking troubleshooter? Have you tried resetting your router to out of box state?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Over the last month it has stopped seeing my eircom wireless network

Can it find other networks?

Is the wifi turned on, on the laptop?

is the router broadcasting(get another wifi enabled device to see if it can find it)

Post back results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jcurry

Overheal wrote: »
    It cant see any networks at all? Have you tried the networking troubleshooter? Have you tried resetting your router to out of box state?

Done all those and nothing. My old laptop sees the network and connects without any problem. So does my smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Done all those and nothing. My old laptop sees the network and connects without any problem. So does my smartphone.

Oki doki, it's not the router,

Windows 7 yes?

press start, and type device manager, and look under network adapters for your wifi card, and see if there is a yellow ! on it.

Advertisement