Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which location-based social network should i 'check-in' with?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I've recently purchased a HTC Desire and can see the great benefits of location based social networks from a consumers perspective. However, there seems to be a lot of services to choose from (Foursquare, Google Latitute, Gowalla et al).

Is there a preferred / most popular location-based service within Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i use latitude and so do my mates. it's handy because most would have a gmail or google account of some description. latitude also lets you track your history online and paints a nice sad picture of your life for you.

i've not used the others though.

i've also moved your thread to the android forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JohnM81

cheers Random thats good to know, have a gmail account myself so prob makes sense to go with latitude for now, plus it's already on the phone. wasnt sure if i should keep the thread generic or in the android bucket as the apps could be generic to all OS's.

Appreciate the quick response and notification of the thread move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Foursquare is a bit of fun collecting mayorships etc, and Yelp is coming along nicely with more of a focus on reviewing places.

I quickly gave up on Latitude myself, it's great for knowing your friends current location but beyond that it was limited, the results for places nearby were not great and sometimes miles away, nothing local and doesn't seem possible to contribute i.e check-in, to a place for others to see.

I installed Gowalla and Foursquare, done some basic searches in my area on both, nearest post office, shop etc.. Foursquare gave the best and nearest results, and totally agree it is fun to use, also preferred Foursquare's user interface to Gowalla.

So far it looks as if Foursquare has the more users/contributors within area, Limerick, based on the results, could differ elsewhere though.

Haven't heard of Yelp, sounds good will def give it a go!

FYI - Facebook have just launched their own location-based app called "Facebook Places", it's currently only available on the iPhone but Android version is expected soon. http://www.facebook.com/places/

Guess it was only a matter of time before they entered this market but with their 500M+ worldwide user-base and 1.6M+ Irish users it could very well mark the end of Foursquare, Yelp, Gowalla et al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Latitude is nice to have. Used it a few times getting directions when meeting up with mates and being just generally nosey. Friends use it alot to see if I'm home and pop in.

Foursquare is the big one I use. For obvious reasons its a bit of larf between the group trying to oust each other as mayor and ****.

The facebook one looks grand, hopefully an app comes soon to android, there seems to be no sign of it on the touch version of the site.

Advertisement