Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking

Options
  • 13-08-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I want to put decking at the back of my house. The decking will be elevated 2ft to be level with the back door. We already have a patio and I want to know, If I can attach the posts to the patio or do I have to dig holes thru the patio for the posts?
    Somebody also said to use concrete blocks to elevate and bolt decking to the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Hi Rod, the way to to be safe is to dig holes for the posts. 600mm deep 300mm sq should do, make the base of the holes a bit wider than the top. Fill with concrete and fix a post holder bracket on top when its set, do not put the post directly down on the concrete otherwise it will always be wet and will rot very fast. Its fine to bolt it to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

I used both the concrete blocks and wooden posts to raise the decking on top of my existing patio.. Once the wet can't soak up the wood it should be ok. I bolted the decking to the house and other parts of the garden also. I haven't had any problems with it.

Advertisement