Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Brew Shop in rathmines?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 11:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Was on the bus this morning on the lower part of rathmines road when i saw a sign advertising "My beer and Wine" homebrew shop..i couldnt read any details but there was a shop right beside the sign,brand new but didnt seem t o be open yet..anybody got any info on when it will be open etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 My Beer and Wine

Hi Degsy
    The Homebrew shop in lower Rathmines rd will be opening next week. We have launched our website www.mybeerandwine.ie
    Take a look at the site if you want any info you can email on barry@mybeerandwine.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hi Degsy
    The Homebrew shop in lower Rathmines rd will be opening next week. We have launched our website www.mybeerandwine.ie
    Take a look at the site if you want any info you can email on barry@mybeerandwine.com

Great stuff..a walk-in homebrew shop is long overdue...i reccomend a few introductory boards discounts too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Great to see a shop opening up. And also nice to see their owners here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Is the shop related to noobru.com? Just wondering given the proximity of the addresses...

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Just to add these guys are pretty friendly and don't mind me wandering in for no apparent reason. Always a good sign :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭padraigcarroll

I bought a beginners kit from the lads in Rathmines - My Beer and Wine - this evening after work. I gotta say, they are dead sound, really helpful, & gave me loads of advice.

I recommend them wholeheartedly, and will defo be going back for beer ingredients as soon as the missus gets over me brewing in the apartment haha

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

My favourite part is that they're right across the road, so if I feel like brewing today, I can just wander across and pick up what I need.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 newbee17

im as glad as anyone to see a home brew shop opening up locally but i just had a quick look at the site and its a fair bit more expensive than all the internet companys and thats even allowing for delivery

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

newbee17 wrote: »
    im as glad as anyone to see a home brew shop opening up locally but i just had a quick look at the site and its a fair bit more expensive than all the internet companys and thats even allowing for delivery
    What an odd first post...

First of all, it's normal for things to cost more in bricks-and-mortar shops than online. The convenience of being able to nip out and buy something (particularly in a brewday emergency) has a premium attached.

Secondly, looking at some of the stuff I buy it's not that much dearer:
    S-04 is €2.75 as opposed to €2.70 at The Homebrew Company
    Munton's Export Stout Kit: €18.95 on both
    33L fermenter with lid: €14.29 vs. €12.95 at HBC.

Not exactly "a fair bit more expensive", IMO.

i buy my home brew stuff in bulk so if you add up your euro here and there im afraid it is a good bit and the online shops have buildings you can walk into aswell.

if im gonna brew beer i make sure i have all ingrediants ready a few days before so waiting 24 hours for sumting isnt a problem wereas pay more than sumting is worth i have a problem with

p.s. try homebrew.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

i find them competitive on most products i buy with the prices i was paying on the net. most important thing for me is been able to walk in have look round and chat get some advice.....they have cornys comming in with all the setup there going to be doing a deal with it he said it was going to take while for it to come thou

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

BeerNut wrote: »
    First of all, it's normal for things to cost more in bricks-and-mortar shops than online.

THE HBC (to use your example) also has a "bricks n' mortar" store. As do many of the Irish online stores.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    S-04 is €2.75 as opposed to €2.70 at The Homebrew Company
    Munton's Export Stout Kit: €18.95 on both
    33L fermenter with lid: €14.29 vs. €12.95 at HBC.

I think what you've done here is just list the products which happen to be around the same price. Have you compared, for example, the price of hops on both websites. The HBC comes in considerably cheaper than the Rathmines shop in this instance.

THE HBC (to use your example) also has a "bricks n' mortar" store. As do many of the Irish online stores.
    I think you may have missed my point. I mean in general it's not unreasonable for something to cost more in a shop than online.
    I think what you've done here is just list the products which happen to be around the same price.
    I said what I did: I compared a handful of prices of stuff I've bought. My Beer and Wine aren't even in the same league as HBC when it comes to hops or grains. Price doesn't enter into it there where I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paulmcd1973

Anyone else think it strange that NewBee17 (join date Feb 2011) digs up an old thread about the shop in Rathmines, disses them for their prices and then advertises a different online vendor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

Folks,

Looking to make a start. Would people recommend I buy a kit from one of these shops? What's the best one to get without spending an arm and a leg?

Thanks,

Hi 30k.

Terminology is a bit confusing here, with "kit" meaning both hardware and software :)

You'll need a starter kit (bucket, hydrometer, thermometer, syphon, sample jar etc) plus a beer kit -- the more expensive 3kg all-malt kits are worth the extra cash.

If My Beer and Wine is convenient for you, you can go in and the guys there can talk you through what you need and what to do with it. You should be able to get your first batch done for under €100.

Also, have a look at the kit brewing article here, which should also help you put the jigsaw together before you start.

Anyone else think it strange that NewBee17 (join date Feb 2011) digs up an old thread about the shop in Rathmines, disses them for their prices and then advertises a different online vendor?

Nothing strange going on here i tought this was to give people info????
    Im just sharing info about facts thats all im not connected to any home brew shops in any way at all!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Having big problems with thehomebrewcentre.ie, homebrew.ie and homebrewwest.ie, none have everything I need (even after compromising on ingredients) and all of them are having problems put through an order.
    (My Beer and Wine is closed at the moment)
    Does anyone use the UK or USA suppliers and are they good?

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Having big problems with thehomebrewcentre.ie, homebrew.ie and homebrewwest.ie, none have everything I need (even after compromising on ingredients) and all of them are having problems put through an order.

Have you tryed eBay or amazon for the tings you need they are pretty good aswell
    Or try brouwland there good if its unusual tings you need

Does anybody know of any local beekeepers or good place to buy honey in large quantity??

Have you tried TheHomebrewCompany.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Carrollj

Have to say the guys at My Beer and Wine are very very helpful. They seem fixed on helping first time brewers as well as experienced brewers to move forward. That's a rare thing at the moment and i'll continue to give them my business.

@Beernut: Yeh I had over looked them, they have everything I need, Thanks.

@Carrollj: Yeh I was only in once for 5 minutes to get some yeast and malt extract, I didn't have time to stick around, I would like to support them but as their closed, I must go elsewhere, also I'm getting hops and grains which they don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 My Beer and Wine

My Beer and Wine was closed during the week this was due to a bereavement. Apologies for any inconveniance caused, we look forward to supplying the needs of the brewing community for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HomeBrewWest

Hey there,
    Brian here from HomeBrewWest. We must have over 1200 products in stock now, so I was wondering which ones we are missing?

Please let us know so that we can address it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

There is always www.thehomebrewcompany.ie

or in the uk http://www.hopandgrape.com/ are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HomeBrewWest

Hi Oblivious,
    I'd be very keen to get your comments on how our UK site http://www.brewsmarter.co.uk
    compares with hop and grain.

Brian
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie
    sales@homebrewwest.com

My order not going through was my bank messing around, I was having trouble getting Cascade, everyone seems to be out of stock, I ended up getting it from thehomebrewcompany, who I had somehow over looked, I do not fault your range whatsoever, I dont have the knowledge or experience for that, all the online retailers have good ranges as far as i'm concerned, what does happen is they tend to be out of stock of a fair bit too, obviously not on purpose, all down to availability etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Was in mybeerandwine today and they now have metal boilers and mashtuns..in fact i've never seen so much homebrew equipment in one shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Yeah they got a massive of delivery of stuff at the end of May. I went in a couple of days later, could barely get into the shop. :)

I'm due a visit soon to pick up a few beer kits. SWMBO has forbidden me to get any kegs off them as we don't have room. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement