Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Custom Case for Small Board?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey Lads,

I've got a small board coming in during the week from the states for what I hope to be the answer to my own business, but its literally just the board and components arriving - I need a case to house it in. Any ideas who or where could create me a prototype?

To give a rough idea on size, stack two DVD cases on top of each other and thats pretty much it. Whatever you guys think I'd go with because I know this is your thing, but basically i'm aiming towards something similar to a tiny NTL box.

I've zero experience with modding, but I work in IT and figured this would be the perfect place to ask since you guys would know exactly what your talking out.

Hope you can help guys :D

Cheers,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Hey Lads,

I've got a small board coming in during the week from the states for what I hope to be the answer to my own business, but its literally just the board and components arriving - I need a case to house it in. Any ideas who or where could create me a prototype?

To give a rough idea on size, stack two DVD cases on top of each other and thats pretty much it. Whatever you guys think I'd go with because I know this is your thing, but basically i'm aiming towards something similar to a tiny NTL box.

I've zero experience with modding, but I work in IT and figured this would be the perfect place to ask since you guys would know exactly what your talking out.

Hope you can help guys :D

Cheers,
    Paul

If you can wait till tomorrow I'll be able to help you out. I love this sort of stuff but my brain is just melted at the moment :o

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Cool man,

Just PM us when your ready with your mail addy or whichever.

Right, I actually have one of those small NTL boxes myself but I'm sitting downstairs and my room in upstairs but they are about the size of an ITX case. Im not sure of the exact dimensions but I've held some ITX computers and they are only a tiny bit bigger ( in length and width) than my hand.

You can buy these cases so theres no real need to build a case, unless you wanted to do it for fun, but if you did, a 20x20x10 (or so) case made of acrylic would look all sorts of awesome, espcially if you could keep it all in one piece. Although you would want some tools for that, definitly a heatgun, rotary tool, screwdriver set and a set of taps aswell. Probably some LED's and a soldering iron for some on/activity lights and on off switches, I'd mount the switches to the side to keep it looking clean but leave the LED's on the front. I'd also build or buy some case feet and drill (another tool you'll need) some ventilation holes in the bottom of case and at the back, the name of the drill bit you use escapes me at the moment but it looks like a triangle basically. To provide more cooling I would pick up a Sythe Slipstream Slim and have it to suck air in right on top of the CPU and Ram, and paint the blades to the same color as your acrylic if you care about your appearance :o. That would do fine for cooling. You would also want to mount your hard drive to the roof of the case so you could either build a simple 2.5'' bracket or buy one, other than that you would be preety muh sorted and just need to buy your hardware.

What sort of budget do you have ?

Edit : I didnt realise you have stuff arriving in...what sort of stuff are you getting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Its basically for a small Internet Radio board that is hard coded with one station.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Deano - I'm guessing we're talking a Pico-ITX or custom non-ATX PCB here :o

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Deano - I'm guessing we're talking a Pico-ITX or custom non-ATX PCB here :o

I probably should have asked that question before I wrote the post :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Bah! Some alu sheeting and a Dremel Time later... :cool::D

Just remember to get very accurate component dimensions and topography! :p

Advertisement