Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a pair of Binoculars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Discovery Binoculars

A friend bought these from BirdWatchIreland and is thrilled with them. I haven't seen them myself.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A couple recent threads you may find useful reading
    First
    Second

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

i have a pair of Opticron Travelers, was about £200 from the UK.

great for birdwatching.

Thanks for all the advice
    knealecat wrote: »
    i have a pair of Opticron Travelers, was about £200 from the UK.

great for birdwatching.
    Would these be a good general binoculars or especially suited to birdwatching?

I use them for everything, very small and handy.

go onto the Opticron Web page for the full spec.

• Advertisement

I use them for everything, very small and handy.

go onto the Opticron Web page for the full spec.
    Is there much difference in the different versions, ie. 6x32, 8x32 & 10x32?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Opticrons are great value and very good.

I will state the obvious but bear in mind in what situation your father will be using them.

If it is for walks, etc, do not buy anything larger that 8-10x25-30mm diameter as otherwise it will be a bit of a pain to carry them.

If that is not a problem, you go for a x42 or x50.

I have two Opticrons, one Imagic 8x42 and one Imagic 8x25 (that I got for free in a promotion they had).

Very happy with both but the x42 model are not that comfortable as I need to press them on my nose to see correctly (not sure if it is the binocs' or my nose's issue :) but the point I am trying to make is that it is importante that you try them before you buy.

I have the 10x32 version, they are all the same size and i think there are lighter than the others . for the extra money its well worth it.

I took then round the yorkshire dales the other week and they are small enough to fit in your coat pocket. last thing you want is a heavy pair round you next all day long.

I have the 10x32 version, they are all the same size and i think there are lighter than the others . for the extra money its well worth it.

I took then round the yorkshire dales the other week and they are small enough to fit in your coat pocket. last thing you want is a heavy pair round you next all day long.
    Thanks have seen the 10x32 for £205 +£10 p&p on http://www.telescopes-binoculars.co.uk/acatalog/Opticron_Binoculars.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Don't buy any binoculars with a magnification of greater than X10. Image will be shaky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement