Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help on worming my horse

Options
  • 12-08-2010 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, i was just wondering what the best wormer would be to use on a nervous, unbroken mare around 4 years old, no previous worming has been done except one dose of an ivermectin based paste. She is barely handled and has a dull coat and a worm belly put will not gain weight. There is also a possibility of pregnancy as stallions got loose with her at the start of the year?
    She was wormed last October, she has been left out to graze and did have bot eggs on her coat last summer and possibly this summer. She is being kept under awkward circumstances and i know she is most probably infested with worms. I am just lost on which will be the most effective for her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The equestrian forum is probably a better place to ask this. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=996

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eeyore is cool

Ha ha ok thank you, i haven't really used this before, clearly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I suggest you contact a vet and ask their advice. If shes possibly pregnant she will prob need a special wormer and a repeat course shortly after if she hasnt been done in that time.

If she wont take a syringe im nearly sure you can get granules now to put into her food.

Id also get her scanned too by a vet to see if shes in foal. Have you noticed her coming into season the last few months at all?
    She will also need vaccinations if she is pregnant so best to get a vet out to have a look at her and get her sorted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

andreac wrote: »
    She will also need vaccinations if she is pregnant so best to get a vet out to have a look at her and get her sorted.

Be careful if you're getting her a flu vacc as some vaccinations aren't recommended for mares who are in foal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Has she got ectoparasites as well? If she has then you will need to get hands-on for treatment.

In case of a pregnant mare I would opt for Panacur. It is safe to use for pregnant mares and comes as paste, liquid or granules.

Also, alot of dogs like to eat horse droppings and if the wormer is ivermectin based then you could have problems if you got a collie (MDR1 defect).

Panacur is Fenbendazole based so the droppings would be safe for dogs.

I always dispose of manure after I wormed my horses just to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement