Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting/falling stars tonight

Options
  • 12-08-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

From yesterdays paper;

Wednesday, August 11, 2010
    IRELAND is set for a spectacular shooting star shower this week with more than 60 meteors an hour forecast to be whizzing over the night skies.

Gloomy skies and rain showers have been a common sight over the past month but astronomers are predicting blazing skies for the next two weeks.

This shower known as the Perseids will peak tomorrow night with hundreds of shooting stars streaking over Ireland.

The chairman of Astronomy Ireland, David Moore, said there could be at least one shooting star a minute on Thursday night.

"I wouldn’t be at all surprised if people see several a minute. Already this week there has been five times more than usual.

"It will peak on Thursday and the forecast looks very clear on Wednesday and Thursday so it should be quite spectacular.

"The shower of meteoroids will continue for the rest of this week and into next week. Normally there is around one shooting star every hour.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sh … 27536.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Lots of wishes to make :)

This might be worth a look later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

midnight tonight until 3am is the peak but im sure you will see them from ten on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Open a can of beer, pringles, deck chair, relax! Better than any telly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carolluke1

Alot of cloud here in the Midlands, is it in a NE direction we should be looking? Anybody see any tonight yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Airsofter101

Just saw one fly west in dublin, really doesnt look like a star but looks amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Just back from the Golf ball on the Clare Hills. Couldn't see any stars at all. Weather forecast predicted partly cloudy but it was cloudy so no falling stars this year. I wonder about tomorrow night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Just back from the Golf ball on the Clare Hills. Couldn't see any stars at all. Weather forecast predicted partly cloudy but it was cloudy so no falling stars this year. I wonder about tomorrow night?
    Was thinking of this as a good spot alright - main concentration of the meteors is supposed to be in the NW so the lights of Limerick would not be in the way if you were up there. Didn't bother last night, reckoned at 10.30 the cloud was not gonna move all night.
    Whats the road like up to it? I've a choice of 2 vehicles - one POS with good ground clearance, but a fecked starter ( so I might be stuck up there all night) or a more well minded car with lowish ground clearance.

I drove up in a Toyota Corrolla, no problem. About 4 other cars coming and going presuably star gazers. Usually these events attaract a small crowd.
    Will wait for weather forecast after 10pm this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

About 4 other cars coming and going presuably star gazers.
    haha I wonder ;) No doubt it will be perfectly clear tonight but Stan Collymore will be hosting a regional heat of "Dogging XFactor 2010" up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Just saw one fly west in dublin, really doesnt look like a star but looks amazing

Probably because they're not stars......they're bits of rock burning up in the atmosphere as the Earth goes through their area of space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Excellent stuff!

~B

Clear sky tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

anyone know which direction to look ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

wylo wrote: »
    anyone know which direction to look ?

Up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Jumpy wrote: »
    Up.

Beat me to it :D

Was watching the skies last nite for about 30mins, no cloud cover. Just saw one solitary shooting star, and even that was only at the corner of my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

seen four of them there was sitting out for about 30 mins gonna go back out now with my tea and keep an eye out for more...

thought i saw some last night but after seeing them tonight i realised what i saw last night was not them.. going by the astronomy forum i was just seeing chinese lanterns going through the sky last night oops..

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭pink100

lying out tonight and saw one really bright shoot across the sky...kids were with me and everyone just went ...wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

yeah i think i saw the same one, it lit up the sky around it like..they're so cool went out there for another few mins and saw 2 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

That was quality, seen it myself whilst driving, just the one mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement