Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Bruce

Options
  • 12-08-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭

I only discovered by accident recently that there is a new (Feb. 2010) authorised biography out at present about the iconic bassist. Got my copy yesterday and have been enjoying the read so far. It is called "Jack Bruce ; Composing Himself" by Harry Shapiro.

I thought some of you might be interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Jack went down in my estimation when, at the time of the Led Zeppelin reunion gig, he started slagging off Led Zeppelin and saying that Jimmy Page was nowhere near as good as a guitarist as Eric Clapton. He later said his comments were tongue in cheek, but I'd believe that's he really thinks. If he keeps it up, he'll become every bit as bitter as Ginger Baker.

Still he's a great bassist - anyone who is Jeff Berlin's hero is always bound to be great!

Do you have any of his solo albums? Very eclectic and absolutely nothing like Cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Jack went down in my estimation when, at the time of the Led Zeppelin reunion gig, he started slagging off Led Zeppelin and saying that Jimmy Page was nowhere near as good as a guitarist as Eric Clapton. He later said his comments were tongue in cheek, but I'd believe that's he really thinks. If he keeps it up, he'll become every bit as bitter as Ginger Baker.

Still he's a great bassist - anyone who is Jeff Berlin's hero is always bound to be great!

Do you have any of his solo albums? Very eclectic and absolutely nothing like Cream.

With regards to Led Zepp, surely he is entitled to his opinion ( one in which there is an element of truth IMO ;) ).

Yes, I have some of his solo albums. "Eclectic" describes them well alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Rigsby wrote: »
    With regards to Led Zepp, surely he is entitled to his opinion ( one in which there is an element of truth IMO ;) ).

I think he was more than a little jealous of the hype around the Zeppelin reunion gig compared to the muted response Cream received when they did their Reunion gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I think he was more than a little jealous of the hype around the Zeppelin reunion gig compared to the muted response Cream received when they did their Reunion gigs.

You are probably right about that. I dont know much about Bruce "the man" (that's why I bought the book), but I do know he can be a bit temperamental at times, and sometimes hard to get along with.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Maybe Eric should have strapped on a Les Paul just like the ol' days!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement