Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to study

Options
  • 12-08-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

So during the year is the library study desks in the hamilton always busy or is it just before exams. Can anyone reccomend any good quiet places on the campus to work around the hamilton building?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

jd83 wrote: »
    So during the year is the library study desks in the hamilton always busy or is it just before exams. Can anyone reccomend any good quiet places on the campus to work around the hamilton building?
    From what I saw last year, during exam time, Hamilton is pretty packed. Get there early (8-9ish) and you would probably get a spot.

Regardless of it being packed or not, it's generally fairly quiet. You'll get the odd phone buzzing in someones bag or a windows startup tone, but during exam time everyone (including myself) is (rightfully) hypersensitive to noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Cool thanks and what about places like 24 hr computer rooms would they be quiet enough or would there be lots of people about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Good places depend upon the time of day, but here are a few around the Hamilton:

- The downstairs Mac computer rooms. Hardly ever anyone there on days classes aren't held there.

- The Goldsmith Hall common room. Not at lunchtime.

- Sometimes, the society rooms in Goldsmith Hall, if it's a quiet day. Even better if you're able to sign out a key.

- The Physics computer room in the SNIAM.

- Hamilton library, upstairs, near the back. Pick your time right and it's very quiet.

Thanks ill have to go exploring to find all these places :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

Up the stairs and turn left in the Hamilton library will be especially quiet this year as the 10-15 TPs who used to study there in bulk have graduated... I'll miss my seat :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Only time there really is competition for a place in the library is during exam time. Hamilton library is always dead quiet, I've heard bad things about the Lecky but the others are also fine from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

The Hamilton's always pretty quiet apart from exam times tbh. It's a bit dingy though (although it's been done up, so it might be actually nice now!)

Don't restrict yourself to the Hamilton end- the Ussher library's nice and bright and spacious, and I'm a fan of the Psychology/ History part of the Berkeley too.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

Usher basement can be very quiet and there are couches (well sort of) there are no windows though.

Berkley is good but can be very cold in depths of winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If you become a keyholder for a society room, they can be very useful in the evenings and out of term.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Top floor of the Berkeley in the Hist and Psychology can be very quiet and would not be that busy for most of the year.

Ussher basement and top floor are also very nice places to study as they tend to be dead quiet and in the basement you can go for a nap on the sofas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I always found the Hamilton to be one of the noisier libraries, it's so big and open tat if anyone talks you can hear it miles away. Lately I've been using the first floor of the Berkeley, the OPUB section. On the right as you go up the stairs it's mostly shelving, so there's a few nice little isolated spots with single desks you can use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I found a fantastic place to study in the Berkely library. Its well away from all of the hacks and cretins; its quiet, its serene, its rather beautiful. Needless to say that I won't be broadcasting it on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Up the stairs and turn left in the Hamilton library will be especially quiet this year as the 10-15 TPs who used to study there in bulk have graduated... I'll miss my seat :(

Oh so that's who you people were! :pac:

Hamilton is pretty quiet other than the few weeks coming up to exams. I started wearing earplugs towards the end. Worked a treat.

I also studied in the MAC room in the 24hr computer rooms when the library was closed. You'd get one or two people talking for a bit but most were in there to study too. Earplugs, again, were a great help here.

Something about the 24hr study space I didn't like. I only went there twice but I always got distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Just steer clear of the MathSoc room. Its the single worst place in the world to get anything done. But its good craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I miss the 24hr study space quite badly. Only time I ever got anything done was in there after midnight, hepped up on coffee and completely focused. Just can't get that vibe at home :(

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I miss the 24hr study space quite badly. Only time I ever got anything done was in there after midnight, hepped up on coffee and completely focused. Just can't get that vibe at home :(

Why is that gone now. There are still 24 hour computer labs though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

It's still there, he's just back in Tipp.

Ah right. Im more of a night person always found it easier to study and read at night than the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I always found the 24 hour mac room a great place for the aul study.
    Bathroom nearby and access to coffee/chocomilk.
    I find it difficult to concentrate when it is very quiet, so I appreciate the ambient hum of the computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

The 24hr room in th Ussher is still open. Getting a bit busy in the day now because of repeats but empty at night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement