Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doonbeg Butter Tubs

Options
  • 12-08-2010 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey, has anyone been around Doonbeg beach lately? Whats the story with all of the butter tubs?
    There's hundreds of empty (and the occasional full) plastic butter tubs, mostly Butterlicious, Buttersft and occasionally Kerrymaid. At first I thought it was people leaving them behind after building sandcastles but there is literally hundreds if not thousands of them all washed up with the seaweed at the high water mark. One every two or three feet nearly.
    I was surfing there yesterday and thought it very strange and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

My guess is that a container came loose from a passing ship. There was a case of this on the south coast either earlier this year or last year, would be surprised if related but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

yup a container fell of a boat full of these tubs ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Was there twice last week and didnt notice them. I presmue they must be towards the south of the beach and not the north??

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

NickDrake wrote: »
    Was there twice last week and didnt notice them. I presmue they must be towards the south of the beach and not the north??

Nah, pretty much covering the whole way up the beach..... Noticed it too, didn't see any full ones though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I was in achill august bank holiday weekend on a little beach down a cliff and we were amazed at the amount of butter tubs.

I initially thought container. The odd thing was that they appeared to be used. No evidence of lids or the foil, and there were different brands - all yellow though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement