Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doonbeg Butter Tubs

Options
  • 12-08-2010 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey, has anyone been around Doonbeg beach lately? Whats the story with all of the butter tubs?
    There's hundreds of empty (and the occasional full) plastic butter tubs, mostly Butterlicious, Buttersft and occasionally Kerrymaid. At first I thought it was people leaving them behind after building sandcastles but there is literally hundreds if not thousands of them all washed up with the seaweed at the high water mark. One every two or three feet nearly.
    I was there yesterday and thought it very strange and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Hey, has anyone been around Doonbeg beach lately? Whats the story with all of the butter tubs?
    There's hundreds of empty (and the occasional full) plastic butter tubs, mostly Butterlicious, Buttersft and occasionally Kerrymaid. At first I thought it was people leaving them behind after building sandcastles but there is literally hundreds if not thousands of them all washed up with the seaweed at the high water mark. One every two or three feet nearly.
    I was there yesterday and thought it very strange and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it?

Strange alright. But, I can't believe there where no I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. It Unbelievable:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭JoJo_27

There's a few of those empty carton bouncing around Quilty/Seafield beach too. Taken them a while to get here!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

was in kilkee last week and there was loads of butter tubs as well..shocking..who is responsible for cleaning these up..must have been about 20 there if n ot more:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

If there were only twenty I would have picked them up myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

i was down in west cork in feb march and was amazed to see butter tubs all along the dunes cant remember the name of the beach,

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Hey, has anyone been around Doonbeg beach lately?

No such beach exists. it's either Doughmore Beach or White Strand, Killard. Doughmore from your description.
    One every two or three feet nearly.

They're from a container ship which lost 6 containers containing tubs of butter last February. Allegedly.

Reported the butter cartons at Doughmore to Clare County Council's Hotline today Monday 23rd August. They have to pass the information on to the area office (Kilrush I presume) and housing(?).

I'll be keeping an eye on Spanish Point also.

Anti Litter Hotline 1800 606 706

Butter tubs on Doughmore beach seem to have been removed by morning of Wednesday 25th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

About 7 or 8 years ago there was an outbreak of packets of pampers babywipes on Doughmore beach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement