Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhyming Poets

Options
  • 11-08-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Im hoping to gather a movement of rhyming poets together across Ireland. The modern style of poetry is well represented, often to the complete and utter ignoring of the peasent poetry that made this island famous, Yeats, Moore and company.

Whether traditional verse, standard habbie or whatever format you write in, we should join together, exchange links and blogs, and maybe run a small journal (I ran a three issue one in January http://www.cartyspoetryjournal.webs.com but suspended it sue to only getting modern poetry submissions).

There is room for the two traditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Yeats had no time for peasantries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

sron wrote: »
    Yeats had no time for peasantries.

Yeats's relationship to "the peasants" was more complex than that. He did, after all, use them to gather information for the fairy and folk tales with Lady Gregory; he also thought that the peasants of the West of Ireland could almost remember the birth of the world and thus their religious beliefs were more credible than others' beliefs. Politicall, late in life, your statement is correct, but ultimately over-simplified.
    To get back to the original topic: It is certainly idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Was that not a joke, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

Was that not a joke, no?

Was what not a joke: his use of the Irish peasantry to form a coherent belief in fairies? No, unfortunately it was not a joke. The poor chap really did believe in fairies and really did go round the western counties gathering information about their 'experiences'w ith fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

No, I mean I just thought sron was making a pun on pleasantries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement