Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible Dog Walking - Harness or Head Collar?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

My 2 year old small Jack russell Staffy cross has become impossible to walk. He is unbelievably strong and pulls so much on his lead he is really choking himself and breaking my back. I have tried a normal harness it lessens the choking but does nothing for my back (He's broken 2 harnesses and 5 retractable leads in the past year!).
    So I have decided to try a training harness or head collar as other 'treat reward techniques' failed miserably.

Has anyone got any advice on which is better, the (halti style) harness or the head collar?

Any advice appreciated as I can't afford to buy both for the 'bag of muscles' :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

nalorac wrote: »
    My 2 year old small Jack russell Staffy cross has become impossible to walk. He is unbelievably strong and pulls so much on his lead he is really choking himself and breaking my back. I have tried a normal harness it lessens the choking but does nothing for my back (He's broken 2 harnesses and 5 retractable leads in the past year!).
    So I have decided to try a training harness or head collar as other 'treat reward techniques' failed miserably.

Has anyone got any advice on which is better, the (halti style) harness or the head collar?

Any advice appreciated as I can't afford to buy both for the 'bag of muscles' :confused:

Hi Nalorac,

A Halti is a type of head collar. It attaches around the neck while the front part goes around the dog's snout. If the dog pulls it's head is tuned back toward you. It's a self correcting tool and IMO definitely works. Have one myself for my fella.

The important thing is, if you get one, to introduce it to him correctly. Let him sniff it first and reward with a treat. From there, move onto holding the front part open so he has to out his nose through it to get the treat. Next, hang it from his nose without attaching it around his neck. Again reward as you do this. And eventually put the whole Halti on him and reward.

I took about 3 days to introduce the Halti to my dog and it worked a treat.

HTH,
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Do they make halti's in all different sizes? I might try one for one of my dogs who pulls a lot on the lead, she's only small, but with four dogs to walk at once, it'd be easier if she'd walk properly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

morganafay wrote: »
    Do they make halti's in all different sizes? I might try one for one of my dogs who pulls a lot on the lead, she's only small, but with four dogs to walk at once, it'd be easier if she'd walk properly :)

yes they do all different sizes!I originally had my rottie on a harness but it was useless and my back and hands where in bits, then about a month ago i got halti and the difference is amazing no more pulling on the lead at all i would defo recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

you can get a size for any dog in the headcollars. IMO harnesses only make things worse when your dog pulls. the headcollars are the only way to go. I've used a halti for a long time and while it does help immensely, they can ride up into your dogs eyes (a lot of people found this) and I followed the advice of a few members on here and other sites and upgraded to a "dogmatic headcollar" just Google them. they're about 25 quid (for a large smaller ones are cheaper) but they are a FAR superior headcollar and I found it works even better than the halti and its much more comfortable on my dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Hi, I use a halti for my springer and it really does make it easier to walk him. The only problem I have with it is that he HATES it still. We have been using it for nearly a year now and he still spends a lot of the walk trying to take it off :p

I think I might look into the dogmatic one and see if he prefers it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

It can somethings it rides up near the eyes,But my girl is still growing I am going to wait until she is fully grown before i get the dogmatic one.But for the moment the halti is good,My pup didn't like the halti at first but she soon releaised that no halti meant no walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Get a Dogmatic Headcollar, they are much better than the Halti and much better quality and dont go up into their eyes when they pull.

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

andreac wrote: »
    Get a Dogmatic Headcollar, they are much better than the Halti and much better quality and dont go up into their eyes when they pull.

:)

Have ordered a Dogmatic this morning. Our Halti was beginning to look a little "chewed around the edges"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

LisaO wrote: »
    Have ordered a Dogmatic this morning. Our Halti was beginning to look a little "chewed around the edges"!

I've just ordered one as well.... fingers crossed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

When you get your headcollars, make sure that you attach the lead to the headcollar, and not to the dogs normal collar. I know that sounds stupid, and obvious but I was out on Wednesday and saw a woman with a black lab wearing a halti, with the little safety bit that clips between the halti and the dog's collar. A woman asked her what it was for, and she explained it was to stop the dog pulling - it probably would be, except that she had the lead attached to the dog's collar, not the halti! I was going to go and tell her, but I was on a day out with kids and friends and wanted a day off from dogs:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sue85

I had the same problem with my dog, he was so strong I dreaded walking him!! Then I tried the Lupi harness its made by Company of Animals its great.. your vet should be able to order it in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on The Illusion Dog Collar?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/illusiondogtrainingcollar.htm

I know its designed by Cesar Milans Wife and there is alot of mixed views about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

antomagoo wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience or thoughts on The Illusion Dog Collar?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/illusiondogtrainingcollar.htm

I know its designed by Cesar Milans Wife and there is alot of mixed views about him

On that page, it says that it shouldn't be used on dogs with 'pushed in faces' yet it shows it being used on two boxers, are they not dogs with pushed in faces?

It looks like an awful lot of trouble to go to, with 2 clips and then the loop above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

ISDW wrote: »
    When you get your headcollars, make sure that you attach the lead to the headcollar, and not to the dogs normal collar. I know that sounds stupid, and obvious but I was out on Wednesday and saw a woman with a black lab wearing a halti, with the little safety bit that clips between the halti and the dog's collar. A woman asked her what it was for, and she explained it was to stop the dog pulling - it probably would be, except that she had the lead attached to the dog's collar, not the halti! I was going to go and tell her, but I was on a day out with kids and friends and wanted a day off from dogs:)

Maybe she was trying to wean him off it? :confused: I sometimes attach the lead to the collar while he is wearing the halti, Im trying to teach him not to pull without always using the halti hoping one day he won't need it at all. Also sometimes have a long lead attached to a harness while he is wearing a halti because I use both at different times of a walk, which might look a bit weird when people see him but that's just me being lazy because I didn't take the halti off when I attached the long lead to let him have a run around! Or maybe she was indeed that stupid that she didn't read the instructions! :D
    Sue85 wrote: »
    I had the same problem with my dog, he was so strong I dreaded walking him!! Then I tried the Lupi harness its made by Company of Animals its great.. your vet should be able to order it in for you.

I tried the lupi and found it rubbish, didn't make any difference at all. Might work for some but it didn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

sensa-able harness ftw OP! Our guy got his new big boy sized one the other week! :D He's a 30kg Golden Retriever.

EDIT - Ooops I typed that completely wrong - Sense-ible or Sense-ation is what I meant - the Sense-ation one has softer webbing on the part that goes under at their tummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Sensible harness (front connection) are the only way to go, stops pulling almost immediately once fitted right and you do not need to train your dog to use one.

Halti's or head collars etc need to be introduced to a dog and used correctly otherwise you will have equally terrible time.

Sensible harnesses are not like other harnesses and connect to the front of the chest. They can be bought through the wagging tail in dunboyne (http://www.thewaggingtaildunboyne.ie/) or through Dog Training Ireland (www.dogtrainingireland.ie). I recommend bringing your dog up to either places and getting a fitting. MUCH easier to use and also does not restrict your dogs head.

Here is the site http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

There is also a similar one called easy walk harness which is simlar but a little cheaper.

Front connection harness is the only one that works....regular harness just makes pulling worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 nikobyrne

can anyone tell me where i can buy a dogmatic in dublin as my local pet shop in kinsealy dont sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

thanks ruby but that website is not working:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi. I tried the halti on my extremly lively terrier and neither of us really liked it! She is a terrible puller - her legs move in a swimming motion when she "walking":D
    Eventually she began to turn her head and sort of tuck it in, which allowed her to continue pulling!
    The other thing I did not like was that it made her froth from the mouth while out walking. It was like she did not have full control over her breathing.
    As regards it pulling up over her eyes, the first one I got did but then I got a better size and this did not happen.
    I know alot of people who have great success with the halti - but my lassie had to be one of those that it did not work for.

I saw a programme the other night on a K9 Bridle, which works on the same principle as a bridle on a horse, using the head to gain control. You can google all the information on it and I'd love to hear others opinions.

I'm off to check out the Dogmatic Headcollar now:D

• Advertisement

ok guys dogmatic is in the post so when i get it and try it out , i will let you know how i get on with it, my husky is only 6 months but i now have one arm longer than the other, and if someone passes me by, well i can just forget any control as he thinks everyone loves husky kisses lol x carrie

nikobyrne wrote: »
    ok guys dogmatic is in the post so when i get it and try it out , i will let you know how i get on with it, my husky is only 6 months but i now have one arm longer than the other, and if someone passes me by, well i can just forget any control as he thinks everyone loves husky kisses lol x carrie

The site is down at the moment Niko, I have sent her an email, She's on hols I think and due back today.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    The site is down at the moment Niko, I have sent her an email, She's on hols I think and due back today.
    hya ruby, yea someone else mentioned that to me on tails and trails, but another member there had one and he is posting it to me, (lovely man) so fingers crossed it fits niko! thanks ruby x

Great, Find mine really good. Prob me on T&T aswell, find it a great site also. Rocky77

aww brill, well hopefully it works for me too, they are a great bunch of people on that, i had a prob with a breeder refusing to give me my papers for niko and they all gave me great advice, thankfully its sorted now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Get some training OP. No dog should be allowed to pull, they can all be trained to walk by your side. Harnesses etc are only addressing the symptoms, not the problems.

Get some training OP. No dog should be allowed to pull, they can all be trained to walk by your side. Harnesses etc are only addressing the symptoms, not the problems.
    hi there, i am actually attending dog classes with my dog, and he has learned a lot but he is still pulling regardless of what he has learned so far! He will pull for the first ten minutes of the walk and then calm down but just gets very excited when he sees other dogs or people! Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

nikobyrne wrote: »
    can anyone tell me where i can buy a dogmatic in dublin as my local pet shop in kinsealy dont sell them?

They arent available in Ireland to buy.

Heres the main site for them:

andreac wrote: »
    They arent available in Ireland to buy.

Heres the main site for them:
    hi there and i think they are, there is a lady, i think her name is michelle on tails and trails that you can order from, she has a website but its down for maintanence atm and she is away but im sure plenty of people have bought it from her, thanks andreac:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I think what Andrea means is that they aren't available on the shelf in Irish petshops, they have to be bought online (be it an irish site or not) I got mine from the dogmatic site

Advertisement