Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gap in wall

Options
  • 11-08-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi lads, I have got a bit of a problem with my new build, i wont go into details just to say it's a fcuk up and missed by all well paid personall but i have now ended up with an internal wall which has 130 mm cavity in it, by the way the wall is 8.5 meters long and 2.6 meters high and the cavity is 130 mm, what in the name of god can i do with it now or what should i fill it up with, help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Splinter Cell

Can you tell us a little more - not sure how an internal wall would have a cavity? Is it a structural wall supporting an external wall overhead (such as between the main house and a sunroom)?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

On the plans its a wall between the downstairs bathroom / living room and the garage / landry room but it was never going to be a garage but only for planning stage. however because it was a garage a cavity wall was required but we did talk about changing this to a single leaf or block on flat, there is a pre-cast concrete floor upstairs but this is only resting on each side of the each leaf leaving the cavity exposed.

does that explain better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

If it's going to be internal couldn't you just leave it, or am I missing something ??

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

I was thinking the same but was afraid of the first floor screed flowing down into the cavity when we pour it next week or worse the screed breaking around the area where the cavity is due to nothing supporting it under the 130 mm cavity there is two door way on this lenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you were getting your external walls pumped (insulation) then you could have this wall done also.

If Im reading this correctly then the wall is there to provide fireproofing between what is supposed to be a garage and the house itself. This wall would normally be built up to the underside of the roof and if this is the case then you can leave it.

However you say that you are worried that screed may run off into it which indicates that the wall terminates at ceiling level. It would be a simple enough to close the top of the cavity.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if this space is not to be used as a garage (which would technically require planning permission, by the way) then i cannot see what the issue is, its the very same as building any of teh out side walls. There is no fear of screed pour entering the cavity once its shuttered properly.

please also note that if the area is to remain as a garage you must insulate the wall to comply with building regulations!!!

Advertisement