Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy tempeh in Cork?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭

The title says it all...where can I get tempeh in Cork?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Quay Co op

And they've got lots of other yummy stuff, too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Shenshen wrote: »
    Quay Co op

And they've got lots of other yummy stuff, too. :D

Thanks:) I've heard its better for you that tofu, I can't stand the taste of tofu but apparently this tastes a lot better?

Well I got some of this in the quay coop. I must say its really nice, fried it up with some soy sauce and it was great. Way way nicer that tofu, and better for you too...win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

ah! a success story! glad to hear :)

Well I've been eating a lot of this now and I'm really liking it, the one drawback is it's quite expensive. 1 smallish cake of the stuff is about €3.50. Are there any places in Cork where I can get it cheaper? I've heard asian markets in Dublin sell it much cheaper, are there any similar places in Cork?

• Advertisement

Update: I found it a little cheaper in the 'Good Food Shop' in the english market. It's a slightly bigger block for €3 I think it was.

Thing is it isn't half as nice as the stuff I got in quay coop. The texture is completely different, its really rubbery and tough compared to the stuff in the quay coop. I didn't realise different brands would taste so different since its all just made from fermented soy beans!

I'm still interested in finding thing cheaper in Cork, if anybody knows another place do tell :).

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I picked up a decent sized block of tempeh for €2.20 in the Quay Co-op today and thought of this thread. Maybe it was a different brand or they've reduced their prices? Either way, not too expensive.

Never tried tempeh before, looking forward to it.

I picked up a decent sized block of tempeh for €2.20 in the Quay Co-op today and thought of this thread. Maybe it was a different brand or they've reduced their prices? Either way, not too expensive.

Never tried tempeh before, looking forward to it.

Thats cheaper than they're charging me :D, though it is a couple of weeks since I bought it there. The stuff I buy is from the freezer section, impulse foods organic tempeh 227g. Is that what you bought too?

It's this one! 300g.

5400313005023.jpg

It was in the fridge with the tofu and stuff, on the bottom kind of near that cannabis beer :pac:

It's this one! 300g.

5400313005023.jpg

It was in the fridge with the tofu and stuff, on the bottom kind of near that cannabis beer :pac:

Thats the same as the stuff I got in the Good Food shop, they charged €3 too. I must say I didnt like that brand at all though, found it tasted rubbery and bland and not at all as good as the more expensive impulse foods stuff. Then again it came frozen from the good food shop so maybe that was the problem?

Let me know what you think of it anyway! :)

• Advertisement

Oh that's a shame... Haven't tried it yet but I'll try to spice it up a bit somehow. Any tips on how to cook it? Haven't looked at any recipes yet.

Oh that's a shame... Haven't tried it yet but I'll try to spice it up a bit somehow. Any tips on how to cook it? Haven't looked at any recipes yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7NgKp7TvI

Thats how how cook it because it's simple and I'm not much of a cook! There are tonnes of other ways to prepare it though I'm sure. I add some soy sauce in once its all browned up and then let it simmer for another minute or two.

Btw, I wouldn't cook the whole block in one piece as they did in the video, the block is very thick and it's hard to cook it all the way through as it is. Cut off however much you're going to use and then slice that in 2 so make 2 thinner 'fillets'. You can also just cut it into small pieces if you prefer.

I cooked this up in a stir-fry last night. Found the texture pretty weird! I didn't really like it, but maybe it's just a poor quality brand, as you say.

Funnily enough, it tasted much better when I reheated the leftovers this afternoon. Maybe the night in the fridge allowed it time to absorb more flavour.

But yeah, copious amounts of soya sauce were used :pac:

Advertisement