Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mom beginning Masters Grant help needed

Options
  • 11-08-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All

I am new to boards.
    Just looking for some advice regarding my applying for a higher education grant I had a baby girl in January in the middle of my final year in college.I am now hoping to pursue Masters in September.
    Does anyone have any idea what catergory I fall into for 2010 I am 23 living at home with parents and baby do we both then be catergorised as my mothers dependents .Also will the baby be assesed as a dependent due to the fact the grant is based on the previous year I am bit freaked out as this grant will be the only determinant in me be able to do this course
    All advice will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to Student Finances - the Help Desk is for people who are having trouble using the site or who have an issue with a moderation decision:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Aylasmom wrote: »
    Hi All

I am new to boards.
    Just looking for some advice regarding my applying for a higher education grant I had a baby girl in January in the middle of my final year in college.I am now hoping to pursue Masters in September.
    Does anyone have any idea what catergory I fall into for 2010 I am 23 living at home with parents and baby do we both then be catergorised as my mothers dependents .Also will the baby be assesed as a dependent due to the fact the grant is based on the previous year I am bit freaked out as this grant will be the only determinant in me be able to do this course
    All advice will be greatly appreciated

It looks to me as if you would be classed as dependent on your parents but I am not sure whether your child is then categorised as your dependent or not - I would suggest maybe ringing your county council to ask or maybe attending the USI Info evening if you can but get the form in ASAP

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The college may also offer some financial assistance through the student assistance fund

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7929/general-questions/index.html
    Is there a specific fund for childcare costs?
    Some institutions offer childcare supports; however, there is no specific funding programme for childcare costs. Childcare is an eligible expense when applying for the Student Assistance Fund in some institutions; to obtain more details you should contact the Access Officer in your institution.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement