Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Endangered Species - VideoPoem

Options
  • 11-08-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

An Endandered Species

Once upon a time a phonebox
    In the days when I was young
    Was the height of technology
    And from where taxis were rung
    Or worried mammys and daddies
    By youth out upon the town
    A little palace from the rain
    A place of universal renown.
    A place of advertisement
    That would be well known all right
    From Get rich quick schemes to taxi numbers
    To numbers of ladies of the night
    But mobile phones have killed them off
    Those phone boxes once so grand
    Now the phone is in our pocket
    And few kiosks today stand.
    There's nothing left of the olden days
    Their worth we don't realise
    Even the gurriers among the youth
    Wont have them to vandalise!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I like the idea of the video poem, but the music in the background is really awful!
    You also speak a little too quickly and flatly so the opportunity to breathe life into the words is kind of missed. Your voice doesn't modulate at all with the three exclamation marks at the end.

Regarding the poem itself, it's very good and not so good in patches. Try look at the lines where the natural flow is forced to fit the rhyming structure and try find words which would sound less contrived and still fit in with the rhythm of the poem.

The first 4 lines, for example, jump back and forth between two sentences. Ignoring the rhyming scheme, the normal sequence would be

Once upon a time in the days when I was young
    A phonebox was the height of technology
    from where taxis were rung

Moving 'a phonebox' to the first line is an example of sacrificing the natural flow of the language to fit the rhyme. A phone box was never the height of technology either, in fairness :)

I'm not a poet by any stretch of the imagination, but if I were writing it I'd concentrate more on getting a nice word flow and less on the rhymes. Silly example:

Once upon a time
    in the days of my youth
    A man wanting a taxi
    had to head for the booth
    and queue with young drinkers
    whose daddies and mammies
    waited and worried
    at home in their jammies

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

I like the idea of the video poem, but the music in the background is really awful!
    You also speak a little too quickly and flatly so the opportunity to breathe life into the words is kind of missed. Your voice doesn't modulate at all with the three exclamation marks at the end.

Regarding the poem itself, it's very good and not so good in patches. Try look at the lines where the natural flow is forced to fit the rhyming structure and try find words which would sound less contrived and still fit in with the rhythm of the poem.

The first 4 lines, for example, jump back and forth between two sentences. Ignoring the rhyming scheme, the normal sequence would be

Once upon a time in the days when I was young
    A phonebox was the height of technology
    from where taxis were rung

Moving 'a phonebox' to the first line is an example of sacrificing the natural flow of the language to fit the rhyme. A phone box was never the height of technology either, in fairness :)

I'm not a poet by any stretch of the imagination, but if I were writing it I'd concentrate more on getting a nice word flow and less on the rhymes. Silly example:

Once upon a time
    in the days of my youth
    A man wanting a taxi
    had to head for the booth
    and queue with young drinkers
    whose daddies and mammies
    waited and worried
    at home in their jammies

:oMy accent... I can do little about it... bog Offaly with a strong overlay of Longford - its my natural speech pattern.

:cool:The music is not the nicest, but is the closest discoesque music I could lay my hands on at the time!!!

:rolleyes:Booths were not the height of technology as such, but as for telephones they were as high tech as any got before the advent of the mobile!

:pac:As for your verses, a nice twist on the theme... you should try throwing together a few yourself, for fun if nothing else. You got a little something there!!!

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions, I take them all on board, but this one will be left be as Im too lazy to redo the video!!! rotfl!:D

Advertisement