Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Engineering Building

Options
  • 11-08-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

So, anyone know what the story is with it?

The engineering course timetables all have V, W, X, Y and Z blocks, which as far as I know are the 5 blocks of the new building, but same thing happened with semester 2 last year.

So feel free to speculate or give us any information you have ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I popped into the college last week and from my view from the car park they still have scaffolding up on the inside. They're probably rushing to get it finished for September.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Doesn't sound too promising does it? :P

They've got 3 weeks left, let's hope they can get there

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

4th year Multimedia (Design ) students are going to be using part of the new engineering block, and the computer lab which will be used by all 1st-4th year design students will be there too.

Then the 1st-3rd year and rest of the 4th years (4th year is split into Print and Multimedia) are being moved to the old engineering block which is having work done on it too, as well as all other rooms for the Design courses. We've been moved up to the main campus from the old Northgate Street campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

well, if it will be ready is highly questionable. They're still filling in parts of the wall. So to have students moving in from northgate st. they must be fairly confident, or will it just be another great big **** up. (Yes I'm bitter, we were supposed to be in the Engineering block last sept, then after Christmas, then ended up in the V rooms instead. Fecking prefab ****e).

The move from Northgate has been postponed for the past number of years, we only found out a couple of weeks ago it was definite (this was after I got all the students to hound the Estates Manager and Head of Humanities to get an answer). They said they were working to a September deadline and then decided after much deliberation that it would definitely be ready in time. They then sent the Design students letters out confirming the move a couple of weeks ago.
    There's also not been a good reaction from the NGS staff because it seems our facilities have been downsized.

Some pics here of the old engineering block been done:
    designatait.blogspot.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

New AIT engineering building to open in September

Deirdre Verney

AIT's new €36 million Engineering and Informatics Building will finally open its doors to students next month, it's been confirmed.

"We are on schedule to occupy and open the new engineering building on September 1," an AIT spokesperson told the Westmeath Independent this week, a positive development that comes after some controversy that the new state-of-art premises failed to open this time last year or following the Christmas or Easter breaks.

More at Westmeath Independent.

Awesome! Confirmation if anything. :D

Can't wait to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ironically the engineering building has apparently been an engineering nightmare.

Well form everything that's been written and said about it, it would have went off without a hitch if the advice and guidelines had been followed by the construction companies involved.

I can't remember the full details, but wasn't it a problem with the bonding material used on the roof (allegedly used cheaper product than told to use), incorrect mortar mixes on the walls etc...

Would love to know the full detail about it, wonder if it will ever come out into the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Blocks going in and blocks coming out. There's still a lot of construction going on and fellas working through the night. Still plan on it being opened by September.

Head up to the old Engineering corridor for the laugh when you get the chance.... it's like a ghost town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I'll be in there next week so I'll let ye all know what it like on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Well form everything that's been written and said about it, it would have went off without a hitch if the advice and guidelines had been followed by the construction companies involved.

I can't remember the full details, but wasn't it a problem with the bonding material used on the roof (allegedly used cheaper product than told to use), incorrect mortar mixes on the walls etc...

Would love to know the full detail about it, wonder if it will ever come out into the light of day.

From what was heard around the college, the fire doors were not up to standard either, and some of the rooms that were meant to hold machines could not be brought in because the rooms were too small... Also they could not afford to heat it because of all the draughts going through it and there was also a problem with the roof leaking.... .

well the roof leaking was due to the improper boding material. Which in turn fecked up the roof. Fire doors, that's the first I've heard about that. Heating, in fact, general running of the building was in doubt regarding budget concerns, but apparently that had been rectified (not just due to "draughts"). Regarding the rooms being too small, I sincerely doubt that, it's not like they haven't stuck students into rooms that were too small as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Heating, in fact, general running of the building was in doubt regarding budget concerns, but apparently that had been rectified (not just due to "draughts"). Regarding the rooms being too small, I sincerely doubt that, it's not like they haven't stuck students into rooms that were too small as it was.

Draughts was probably the wrong word, sorry. Just heard that it would have been expensive to heat.

I meant the room size for machines (or that could have been for the hub.....)

I apologise if I got it wrong.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 furrycreature

OK the Buzz on this is it open for september. Was chatting with a lecturer in da department, got to see some snaps of the labs (WooooW they look amazing). It looks like its going to b the bizz! Old eng department gone to design.....

Lots of work still goin on, maybe will need hardhats and builder vests!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kvaugh

What a difference a day makes. I only posted an update to my blog yesterday about the move. For those interested it can be assessed here. I have also included some photos of the Labs I will be teaching out of. Today all people entering the building have to wear covers over their shoes!

The official word is yes the new building will be operational on 1st of September. There is still some work to be done, however most labs are now live, all staff have moved over, networks are functioning, classes are timetabled and I even noticed the heating was on this morning!

There is a lot of speculation in this thread already and it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. What I will say is that the college only took possession of the building in the last few days. With any new building, there are snags. In the case of this building these needed to be worked through before the college would take ownership from the contractor.

The design department will be moving to the main campus. The area assigned (old engineering labs on the ground floor) are being renovated at the moment (more info here). I am not sure when this will be completed, but would imagine in the next few weeks. Science are taking over the old engineering second floor.

Hope this helps.
    Keith

Nice to get some somewhat official word on it. Thanks Keith :D

Was hoping to see some of the computer labs though :( New lecture hall looks amazing though
    X103_b.jpg
    (Not that I'll be in it in my 8 person class :P)

Best I can do sorry. I have seen the new games lab, but the picture is very poor. Its a duel monitor setup, with AlienWear PCs. Other computer labs all appear to be very large (computers around the walls, lots of floor space. I assume seats and desks to be added). All in all the setup is very impressive.

@people3, what course are you on?

I'm doing web, so I might have the odd class in with the games guys in the games lab, since most of the classes are shared. I'm looking forward to wandering around next week (and trying to figure out where my classes are :rolleyes:)

(Also, it's Popple3, not People3, but I'll let you away with it :P)

Oh, and also, welcome to Boards

How did I make that mistake! To much hast I guess.

Not sure what the plan for next week is yet. I am sure HoS and HoD will be meeting with class groups at some stage. As with everything there will be "teething problems" and I'm sure patience will be needed especially in the first few weeks.

Thanks for the welcome to boards. I've be around a lot a few years back, but forgot my username. Ah well sometimes its best to use the actual given name!

• Advertisement

kvaugh wrote: »
    The design department will be moving to the main campus. The area assigned (old engineering labs on the ground floor) are being renovated at the moment (more info here). I am not sure when this will be completed, but would imagine in the next few weeks.

Cheers for the update about the engineering building. As a design student I'm just curious about the bit in bold - do you have any more info on this? the work doesn't seem near completion and I was just wondering if there's any chance the beginning of the course will be delayed? It has been already by a few days..

- bo - wrote: »
    Cheers for the update about the engineering building. As a design student I'm just curious about the bit in bold - do you have any more info on this? the work doesn't seem near completion and I was just wondering if there's any chance the beginning of the course will be delayed? It has been already by a few days..

It would be highly unlikely that the start date would be pushed back further. The area needs more work as its not unlike the pictures in the blog post. However I have noticed HVAC systems (Heating and Ventilation) which is a sign that its nearing completion. Once these are up, and the ceilings in, the area will be decorated. I also did notice ceiling installers on site. All in all I imagine that it will be completed close to schedule. In any case there is plenty of accommodation in other areas to house Design temporarily. It will be a big change for the department leaving the inspirational NorthGate St campus.

kvaugh wrote: »
    It would be highly unlikely that the start date would be pushed back further. The area needs more work as its not unlike the pictures in the blog post. However I have noticed HVAC systems (Heating and Ventilation) which is a sign that its nearing completion. Once these are up, and the ceilings in, the area will be decorated. I also did notice ceiling installers on site. All in all I imagine that it will be completed close to schedule. In any case there is plenty of accommodation in other areas to house Design temporarily. It will be a big change for the department leaving the inspirational NorthGate St campus.

A huge change alright, it'll be a whole new world for existing NGS students. Thanks a million for the information, I'll try pop in for a gawk next week at some stage.

I was told there a few minutes ago that design classes will be held in prefabs out the back until Monday week :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

- bo - wrote: »
    I was told there a few minutes ago that design classes will be held in prefabs out the back until Monday week :rolleyes:

That's a pity. Better have it fully functional than finished in places though. I was finally up there to see it earlier today. Very impressive. And may I say good luck to the students and lecturers that will be working there!

Was in there Wednesday with cherryghost, and earlier that day too.

I know any 2nd+ years have seen it now, but still, it looks great (even if there was still construction work going on). The canteen in it is a bit too small though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I had a lecture in there on Thursday morning. It's looking pretty well and finding your way around is pretty easy. Yeah the canteen looked tiny, seems like more of a coffee dock than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

So they finally opened the engineeing building, no more cow sheds for the civil/construction lads so:D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

I'm in a few of them V rooms, they're supposed to be ready Monday :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Crooky92

all my lectures ar in the new buildin so thats grand :D the games lab is deadly some setup in there :eek: cant wait to use it next year :P

Advertisement