Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid question; Is this definitely a Mouse not a Rat?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Caught this in my kitchen earlier. Im nearly sure its just a mouse but i want to be 100% sure. Its small enough (about the size of a packet of cigarettes) so i assumed it was a mouse at first but its tail is very big for a mouse and its face is really long and 'rattish' looking. Hopefully it is a mouse and not a small or baby rat

Can anyone here confirm? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I'm no expert but that's a mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Probably a mouse. Stick a coin beside it to give an idea of size.

Bad News:

Mice rarely come in single instances, so be prepared to get a few mousetraps. The snap ones are the best, forget poison and sound deterrents as they have significant disadvantages. (There's already a few threads on this is you use the search).

They trail urine everywhere so get the disinfectant out and give the kitchen a good clean, especially the nooks and crannies and the areas where horizontal and vertical surfaces meet as that's where they like to have their runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Grupouva

tricky D wrote: »
    Probably a mouse. Stick a coin beside it to give an idea of size.

Bad News:

Mice rarely come in single instances, so be prepared to get a few mousetraps. The snap ones are the best, forget poison and sound deterrents as they have significant disadvantages. (There's already a few threads on this is you use the search).

They trail urine everywhere so get the disinfectant out and give the kitchen a good clean, especially the nooks and crannies and the areas where horizontal and vertical surfaces meet as that's where they like to have their runs.

Thanks. Sorry can't put a coin beside it ive already thrown the creature away! Yeah got 6 breakback traps from woodies and put them around the place with chocolate nutella spread on them so hopeully that will kill them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

A young rat would have had relatively bigger feet, smaller ears and a stubbier snout.

sesswhat wrote: »
    A young rat would have had relatively bigger feet, smaller ears and a stubbier snout.

Well you cant really see its face in the pic properly coz to kill it i dropped a block on it and it kind of squashed its head.

If more of them start appearing sure ill just get the landlord to get rentokil or one of those up to the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Well you did say
    Grupouva wrote: »
    its face is really long and 'rattish' looking.

sesswhat wrote: »
    Well you did say

Yes in that pic, that side of its face is squashed sure you can see the blood on its face!

I read somewhere that rats are very aggressive and if cornered will jump up and attack to try get away, where as mice will freexe on the spot with fear, and thats what this little fella did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Yes in that pic, that side of its face is squashed sure you can see the blood on its face!

I read somewhere that rats are very aggressive and if cornered will jump up and attack to try get away, where as mice will freexe on the spot with fear, and thats what this little fella did.

Or run for the nearest cover - like up your trouser leg:eek:

I left a trap out beside the back door of my house last night, and this morning the trap has moved about 2 feet from where i left it and the bait (a big dollop of nutella chocolate spread) is gone but theres nothing in the trap!

What could have done this, its mad how could a mouse or rat get the bait and the trap goes off but it doesnt get caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I left a trap out beside the back door of my house last night, and this morning the trap has moved about 2 feet from where i left it and the bait (a big dollop of nutella chocolate spread) is gone but theres nothing in the trap! What could have done this, its mad how could a mouse or rat get the bait and the trap goes off but it doesnt get caught?

Cat? I presume they eat nutella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I left a trap out beside the back door of my house last night, and this morning the trap has moved about 2 feet from where i left it and the bait (a big dollop of nutella chocolate spread) is gone but theres nothing in the trap!

What could have done this, its mad how could a mouse or rat get the bait and the trap goes off but it doesnt get caught?

We have instances where the mouse took the cheese and the trap never went off. Real Tomy & jerry stuff :D
    My advise would be to use a little bit of fat of some ham. they usually have to tug it off resulting in the trap going off :P

Advertisement