Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apply to Cork City VEC or Co.Cork HEG?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I'm a mature student entering my 4th year of an IT "ab initio" degree course (Hons) at CIT. I first recieved my grant in 2007 and applied through Cork City VEC, the same in 2008. In autumn 2008 I moved to Co.Cork from the city and informed the VEC, they continued giving my grant. However I phoned them today to be told I had to make a new application this time to Cork County Council HEG section because I now live in Co.Cork and because my degree course is 4 years in duration rather than 3 years.

They said that for all 4 year courses after the third year you need to make a fresh application to the body that deals with grants in the area you are then living in? It isn't as though I started a level 7 course and have moved onto a level 8 course - my degree course has been level 8 since the begining. Does anyone know whether this is correct?

I phoned the HEG grants section at Cork County Council and told them what Cork City VEC said but they aren't 100% sure on it but will, supposedly, get back to me on it. So, it now seems that even though I initially recieved my grant from Cork City VEC that I now have to make a fresh application to Cork City Council HEG section as I've moved to the county (two years ago) and as it is my 4th and final year (and not say my 3rd year or whatever) Seems a little messed up?!!! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well then apply to the Cork County Council - don't wait for them to come back to you

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Well then apply to the Cork County Council - don't wait for them to come back to you

Yeah, it's just that I don't want a situation where I've gotten the wrong info from either Cork City VEC or County Cork HEG section and apply to one or the other only to find out later they have to transfer over my application becuase I've applied to the wrong body and in turn my delay my grant. That is what could happen Cork County HEG told me today....well, I'll phone them again tomorrow if I don't hear from them (said they'd phone tomorrow morning- yeah right, lol)

Advertisement