Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording calls with Android

Options
  • 11-08-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an app to record calls on my Desire. I just think it would be very handy for when someone is giving you directions or calling out a number among other things. I've read there is some issues regarding legality because the other person has to be aware that you are recording the call. Not sure if this even applicable in Ireland as it was a US message board where I read it?

Anyway there seems to be a few apps out there that will record just your voice like Ringdroid and DroidRecord. Finding an app that records incoming and outgoing parts of a phone call seems to be hard to find.

I came across AllCallRecorder but the comments don't make it look too promising, will give it a try later anyway. Anyone got any recommendation for an app that will do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Blame the yanks. They have a law that says you cant. So the phone providers dont allow the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Found this thread over on XDA and it doesn't look too promising at all. Its not clear though if its a Android/Hardware limitation or if its just nobody has been bothered to design a good app to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I have the same problem with my iPhone. After investigation it was because the US have laws against call recordings and told apple not to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

It ain't just a yank thing, I'm sure secretly recording calls would also fall foul of our Data Protection Legislation. It could basically amount to collecting personal data without consent or otherwise meeting the requirements of the data protection acts.

Its the same reason you have to display a notice informing people if you are recording cctv.

That said, the data protection acts only covers the collection and retention of personal data, so I imagine there wouldn't be necessarily be anything illegal about an app that allowed you to record calls, as long as the developer makes sure to shift responsibility for notifying the other person to the user. The Android market thankfully isn't as susceptible to political considerations as the apple store!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

If you get Tasker (paid app) you can set up a profile that calls are recorded. Whether it records both incoming and outgoing at the same time I think depends on the hardware.

You can set it up so that it will record only certain phone numbers.

Set it up last night (am a little bit wary of intruding on people's privacy), so set it just for when my Dad rings -still waiting for him to call though to see if it definitely works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Keith186

I had one on my N97 before I got this. Worked fine apart from a beep making it very obvious.
    I can't remember the name of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

The voice recorder on a Hero was able to get both both sides of a call for me (someone giving directions) but the volume had to be put very high during playback. I think my side was much louder so it was a bit messy but possible.

Advertisement