Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

translating Irish names

Options
  • 11-08-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

whats the deal in this country when you walk into an office and give your name in Irish and the helpful person the other side of the desk writes down the English version?
    some people only have Gaelic surnames.
    personally I find it disrespectful.
    if you insist on having a Gaelic name you are regarded as being finicky and its even worse if you want it spelt correctly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    whats the deal in this country when you walk into an office and give your name in Irish and the helpful person the other side of the desk writes down the English version?
    if you insist on having a Gaelic name you are regarded as being finicky and its even worse if you want it spelt correctly.

Well in this situation you shoud shove their nose into the book and shout,
    ''NOOOOO. THATS A BAD RECEPTIONIST''. Its the only way theyl learn.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

this happens to me quite often, not so much since the celtic tiger, but frequently in the east. point it out to them and they will think you are being fussy or awkward. confrontation is not good if you have to have further dealings with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

It's better that you stand up to them and let them think whatever
    your name should be on their records not their interpretation of it (fadas 'n' all)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Have it written out for them beforehand, or show them your i.d.
    If they start questioning this then inform them that this is the only name you are known by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Have it written out for them beforehand, or show them your i.d.
    If they start questioning this then inform them that this is the only name you are known by.

in most cases they have my name right in front of them and they still get it wrong. if i spell it they will just ignore what I am saying and write in phonetically.

the advantage of this is that if my name is mispelt it has no legal bearing.

if i go abroad they always get my name right. for them its not rocket science. the name is before them and they transcribe it as written.

here you are still regarded as being finicky if you want the sine fadas put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

in most cases they have my name right in front of them and they still get it wrong. if i spell it they will just ignore what I am saying and write in phonetically.

the advantage of this is that if my name is mispelt it has no legal bearing.

if i go abroad they always get my name right. for them its not rocket science. the name is before them and they transcribe it as written.

here you are still regarded as being finicky if you want the sine fadas put in.

I take your points, Fuinseog, sometimes we are treated like aliens in our own country whereas foreigners living here are more understanding and in tune with our situation. I believe we should'nt lose the head when frustrated while also not letting them away with it.
    By the way, I have noticed that the most virulent towards spoken Irish are the natives of the Breac-Ghaeltachtaí, possibly because they feel some quiet shame as they are the generation who are finally, in their own area, killing it off when it is still within their easy grasp to do the opposite.
    To name one town, only, from each province:
    An Clocháin Liath (Dungloe) in Co. Donegal
    Daingean Uí Chúis (Dingle) in Co. Kerry
    Cloch na Rón (Roundstone) in Co. Galway

All are situated in the official Gaeltacht, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have an anglised name which no one can spell. What can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I got sent out a euro travel health card in Irish - despite filling in the form in English and not requesting it to be in Irish.

Not complaining but it was just so odd. There is no history of me requesting stuff in Irish or my name being in Irish as it is in English I dunno why I got it in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I got sent out a euro travel health card in Irish - despite filling in the form in English and not requesting it to be in Irish.

Not complaining but it was just so odd. There is no history of me requesting stuff in Irish or my name being in Irish as it is in English I dunno why I got it in Irish.

Was your name in Irish or was the Card Itself in Irish.
    If the card Itself was in Irish you may have ticked a box or something by mistake, or else it was a clerical error, strange though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Next time it happens say you want to speak to their supervisor. The problem in this country is we don't complain enough. If they give some bull**** story about not been able to enter fada's in windows then tell them to use charmap. Or just do ctrl-alt-vowel

Heck I can even do punc buailte on my keyboard :D

Dubhthach Duḃṫaċ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

I hate this ****.
    I don't think people's names should be translated at all!
    If someone's name is Diarmuid it does not suffice to call them Dermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I hate this ****.
    I don't think people's names should be translated at all!
    If someone's name is Diarmuid it does not suffice to call them Dermot.

Michéal really gets people.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

you can tell a lot about a person from their willingness to give a fada its place in society! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

dubhthach wrote: »
    Heck I can even do punc buailte on my keyboard :D

Dubhthach Duḃṫaċ

Please tell me how to do that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Please tell me how to do that :D

Well I downloaded "United States-Gaeilge" keymap from here: http://mearchlar.tripod.com/ My work laptop has an american keyboard layout (basically @ symbol is reveresed with ")

I use the language bar to switch keymappings and then it's just a case of typing /c -> ċ , /d -> ḋ etc.

you can also do things such as:
    ⁊ -- for agus
    ſ -- long s
    ẛ (long s with punc)
    ɼ (long r)

and for Gadhlig you can do all the grave accents eg. àòùèì

-Duḃṫaċ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well I downloaded "United States-Gaeilge" keymap from here: http://mearchlar.tripod.com/ My work laptop has an american keyboard layout (basically @ symbol is reveresed with ")

I use the language bar to switch keymappings and then it's just a case of typing /c -> ċ , /d -> ḋ etc.

you can also do things such as:
    ⁊ -- for agus
    ſ -- long s
    ẛ (long s with punc)
    ɼ (long r)

and for Gadhlig you can do all the grave accents eg. àòùèì

-Duḃṫaċ

Nice one, thanks :)

Advertisement