Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Blocklayer Galway West

Options
  • 11-08-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hello I'm looking to get pricing for a build in Galway in order to know if I can afford it.

If you know of a good blocklayer, plasterer, roofer in Galway west area can you please send me a private message with the contact details.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Hello I'm looking to get pricing for a build in Galway in order to know if I can afford it.

If you know of a good blocklayer, plasterer, roofer in Galway west area can you please send me a private message with the contact details.

thanks.

A house?

Prices vary between 75 - 85 euro per sq ft builders finish to build a house.

There will be people that say "i can get it done for 50!" or "it cost me 95" but normally, in or around that.

There is savings to be made now on the prices of blocklayers, they're rate along with plasterers have fallen on average by probably 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

thanks for the reply snyper,

I'd agree with the blocklayer and plasterer drop but at 75/sq ft I will be expecting to have all done, not just a builders finish,...

... and having chats with recent builds and post here, I would expect that in the current market that this is accurate, and why wouldn't it. (There's no golden blocks goin in).

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

teepee wrote: »
    pm sent
    That's the style :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

pm sent

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply snyper,

I'd agree with the blocklayer and plasterer drop but at 75/sq ft I will be expecting to have all done, not just a builders finish,...

... and having chats with recent builds and post here, I would expect that in the current market that this is accurate, and why wouldn't it. (There's no golden blocks goin in).

Possible, but difficult.

Take one piece of advice from me, and just rember it when you get to that point, wheather you take my advice or not is another thing, but ive seen countless people make the mistake..

When you get the blocks done, and then the roof, and then the windows in and perhaps even it plastered and look at your bank balance and go.. hea?! we've loads left and the house is half finished!! Yeaa!! Lets spend a little more on finishing the house than we were gong to, and maybe lets buy a better car... -DONT!

The house might structurally be 75% finished, but its from that point forward, building a house is like a vaccum that sucks money into it.. So then when they went crazxy spending money earlier they realise they havnt enough money to but doors, floors and get the garden reasonably sorted

Some people will spend more on the kitchen than they would spend on getting the house roofed..

snyper wrote: »
    Possible, but difficult.

The house might structurally be 75% finished, but its from that point forward, building a house is like a vaccum that sucks money into it.. .

Thanks for the advise snyper, this echo's advise I got from a few people who have gone through the process of building (unlike me).

I heard today of people who ran out of money on a build in Galway without some major jobs done like bathroom fitout and cant get any more from the bank now to finish.

Thanks for the advise snyper, this echo's advise I got from a few people who have gone through the process of building (unlike me).

I heard today of people who ran out of money on a build in Galway without some major jobs done like bathroom fitout and cant get any more from the bank now to finish.

I built my own home, i did all the work myself.. the lot.. and i even found this to be the case, min you i operated on a 60k budget.

Other houses i built or did some work on, ive found the same, thats why i tell you, that 75 per ft is going to be fairly correct.

You see, a builder could probably build the house for a person for 75 - 80. If you build it direct labour and cut out the builder in theory you could save now a days 15% BUT when you're not a builder, and are tryig to orgainise it yourself, i find that people doing this essentially dont make that saving for a number of reasons - you arent likely to always get the same deals as a builder who would buy reguarly from suppliers, they will be more efficent and they can usually get better price from trades people...

I do think however you can save money, take your time, dont be in any rush, price everything, the cheapest isnt always the best, and the satisfaction in being involved in it is priceless (although exhausting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭LowOdour

i dont want to hijak the thread, but could i get pm of contact details of any plasters that may have been passed on to OP

No problem lowodor will send on a PM to you tomorrow or wed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement