Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

business and law

Options
  • 11-08-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

hey i am hoping to get business and law as my 1st offer and i was just wondering if any1 could give information on the course??

any timetables they had last year....

books i will need to get......

any preperation i should do before starting the course.......

stuff i should know about the course....

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

well in the first semester you will probably feel like you have way more work than the law students as you will be taking 6 subjects as opposed to their 3 but this will be an advantage to you as in the second semester you will not have to take up new business modules.

You will have a few essays to do and will have exams at reading week in the first semester.

The law modules you'll be taking are quite nice in the first semester it will be tort and ILS and then contract in the second semester.

As for preparation I wouldn't worry about it too much if you get working form the get go in October you will be fine. Its first year its meant to be enjoyed.

The course seems to have been well enjoyed this year. I think most people found the econ module the hardest of the business section and contract the hardest of the law.

As it is quite a small class everyone seems to get on really well. An you will also have the opportunity to meet others from the law class as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aaronsbz

sounds like its a good course....

em what was books like did ya have to buy many and where they expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

You don't necessarily have to buy the books the library will have them but most people do buy them. The books are expensive most of them are 100 euro or more. However if you keep an eye on the notice boards you should be able to pick them up cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Regarding books, if I were you I'd buy the economic policy book because the lectures and tutorials follow it very closely, particularly for microeconomics which is the first semester part of the course. The second semester deviates slightly from the book as it is an American text and the lecturer relates his macroeconomic lectures to Ireland. I found the book particularly helpful as I hadn't studied economics in school and this book really dumbs things down! It costs €60 from Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street, if the schols exam doesn't examine economic policy then I'll sell you mine for half price hal!;) Alternatively it's on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Economics-International-Karl-Case/dp/0137141459/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1281967879&sr=8-3-fkmr0 Don't go buying it yet though in case they change lecturers or textbooks lol!

Regarding the torts book, I bought it new and immediately regretted it because it's massive, the library has plenty of them, you only have to read each chapter once and make your own notes on it because they are too long to remember everything anyway, and finally, it was published in 2000 so it's ten years old, and you have to supplement everything it says with recent developments in the law of tort, unless you want out of date answers, for example the defamation section is now defunct. Of course, it is "the bible" of tort law in Ireland and is co-written by the tort lecturer for the first semester, Professor Binchy, so when you read over a chapter for revision it's like hearing him speak lol which triggers the memory. I think because it's quite an old book your best bet is to keep an eye on the law school noticeboard and pick up a second hand copy, it should cost around 50 euro, and make sure to buy the 2000 edition (not the 1991).

For the Irish Legal System, the book is brand new (only published in 2009) so it's less likely you'd find a second hand one around, but I'd recommend buying this one because it provides an overview of the irish legal system that helps slot all the other law subjects you will be studying into place! It costs 90 euro, I used it the most out of the law books I bought. The library has copies too of course, so if you get to the library early you'll be fine too!

For Contract don't buy any books. The lecturer purposefully doesn't name a textbook for a course, instead he gives a list of all the most recent contract law books, all of which are in the library. It's better to know the required cases really well and form your own opinion, rather than only knowing an bare outline and someone elses opinion from a textbook. Don't even buy a revision book, lots of the stuff in them isn't relevant to the way the course is designed, the notes you make yourself will be far more helpful at exam time. Of course, if you have time it's beneficial to read the relevent chapters in the textbook before the exam as it's good to know what different authors are saying, just don't forget to engage with the text by saying if you agree or disagree! This will all make far more sense when you actually start studying!;)

I do Law and political science so my other two subjects are different from Law and business so I can't answer on those! It may seem like the books are expensive compared to secondary school so it's up to you whether you choose to purchase or not. Bear in mind that if you get over 560 points in the leaving certificate (and since Law and business was 555 last year you are probably aiming for that anyway!) you will get an entrance exhibitor award which is a €300 book voucher, half of which you receive in your first year which is pretty cool!:)

ah ok great thanks for the information.... how did yous find the first year was it really hard and how was the exams??

• Advertisement

nicola09 wrote: »
    Regarding books, if I were you I'd buy the economic policy book because the lectures and tutorials follow it very closely, particularly for microeconomics which is the first semester part of the course. The second semester deviates slightly from the book as it is an American text and the lecturer relates his macroeconomic lectures to Ireland. I found the book particularly helpful as I hadn't studied economics in school and this book really dumbs things down! It costs €60 from Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street, if the schols exam doesn't examine economic policy then I'll sell you mine for half price hal!;) Alternatively it's on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Economics-International-Karl-Case/dp/0137141459/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1281967879&sr=8-3-fkmr0 Don't go buying it yet though in case they change lecturers or textbooks lol!

Regarding the torts book, I bought it new and immediately regretted it because it's massive, the library has plenty of them, you only have to read each chapter once and make your own notes on it because they are too long to remember everything anyway, and finally, it was published in 2000 so it's ten years old, and you have to supplement everything it says with recent developments in the law of tort, unless you want out of date answers, for example the defamation section is now defunct. Of course, it is "the bible" of tort law in Ireland and is co-written by the tort lecturer for the first semester, Professor Binchy, so when you read over a chapter for revision it's like hearing him speak lol which triggers the memory. I think because it's quite an old book your best bet is to keep an eye on the law school noticeboard and pick up a second hand copy, it should cost around 50 euro, and make sure to buy the 2000 edition (not the 1991).

For the Irish Legal System, the book is brand new (only published in 2009) so it's less likely you'd find a second hand one around, but I'd recommend buying this one because it provides an overview of the irish legal system that helps slot all the other law subjects you will be studying into place! It costs 90 euro, I used it the most out of the law books I bought. The library has copies too of course, so if you get to the library early you'll be fine too!

For Contract don't buy any books. The lecturer purposefully doesn't name a textbook for a course, instead he gives a list of all the most recent contract law books, all of which are in the library. It's better to know the required cases really well and form your own opinion, rather than only knowing an bare outline and someone elses opinion from a textbook. Don't even buy a revision book, lots of the stuff in them isn't relevant to the way the course is designed, the notes you make yourself will be far more helpful at exam time. Of course, if you have time it's beneficial to read the relevent chapters in the textbook before the exam as it's good to know what different authors are saying, just don't forget to engage with the text by saying if you agree or disagree! This will all make far more sense when you actually start studying!;)

I do Law and political science so my other two subjects are different from Law and business so I can't answer on those! It may seem like the books are expensive compared to secondary school so it's up to you whether you choose to purchase or not. Bear in mind that if you get over 560 points in the leaving certificate (and since Law and business was 555 last year you are probably aiming for that anyway!) you will get an entrance exhibitor award which is a €300 book voucher, half of which you receive in your first year which is pretty cool!:)

ah ok great thanks for the information.... how did yous find the first year was it really hard and how was the exams??

green909 wrote: »
    You don't necessarily have to buy the books the library will have them but most people do buy them. The books are expensive most of them are 100 euro or more. However if you keep an eye on the notice boards you should be able to pick them up cheaper.

Advertisement