Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maintenance grant & Rent Allowance 2010/2011

Options
  • 11-08-2010 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi All,

I have applied and been accepted for a Masters and have applied for the maintenance grant (still waiting to hear!).

I am a bit concerned about whether I am entitled to rent allowance if I am in receipt of a maintenance grant. My CWO was unsure as were the social services!!! Social Services have advised that I am not entitled to back to education as it is a masters.

Without rent allowance I'm really in trouble can someone help with my options:
    Am I entitled to rent allowance when in receipt of the maintenance grant??
    Is there something else I should be applying for.

Please note I am a mature student.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bananarep wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have applied and been accepted for a Masters and have applied for the maintenance grant (still waiting to hear!).

I am a bit concerned about whether I am entitled to rent allowance if I am in receipt of a maintenance grant. My CWO was unsure as were the social services!!! Social Services have advised that I am not entitled to back to education as it is a masters.

Thanks

No

You are not entitled to rent allowance

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement
    You won’t qualify for Rent Supplement if you:....

Are attending full-time education. However, if you are getting a Back to Education Allowance or participating in the Back to Education Programme you may be entitled to the Supplement.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Contact your college and ask how you can apply for financial assistance under the student assistance fund

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bananarep

thanks- that's a bit of a concern. Am I right in assuming this issue is only really coming to light this year as previously you could get the maintenance allowance and back to education which would mean you would have been in receipt of a social welfare payment and thus entitled to rent allowance?

It seems unfair- lost job- paid for myself to go back to college to finish my degree and used all my saving- wasn't entitled to support then as hadn't been unemployed for 9 months and they would only pay for a full degree not just the last year of one!! so instead of sitting around for 9 months I cleaned out my bank account and paid in the hope I could get a job. Still no jobs so I was advised my best hope going back to do a masters. Now I'm broke and in debt cause I couldn't get support last year and didn't want to wait 9 months on the dole. It seems this system supports those who want it to pay for everything rather than provide a little bit of help when people need it. Glad I paid all those taxes!!!:(

are there other options of support I should look at?? I know the colleges have limited funds for financial aid and I'm not entitled to back to education again cause it's a masters.

are there other options of support I should look at?? I know the colleges have limited funds for financial aid and I'm not entitled to back to education again cause it's a masters.
    Contact your college about the student assistance fund and also maybe contact your credit union about a loan

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Hi All,

Thanks

There is no maintance grant this year.

• Advertisement

totally wrong information

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Hi All,

Thanks

Johnnymcg is right about checking with your college about their Student Assistance Fund right away when you begin the year. Most will provide something in terms of rent allowance, it may not be much but it is something. You'll some things along the lines of a rent book, lease agreement, proof of payment etc. but if you have them then they'll do their best to help.

I haven't anything to that effect and I don't believe their is no grant this year.

My apologies..I am referring to the BTEA..If you get that you can't get the grant..that's what I have been told..by NUI staff anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just a reminder to posters...
    whatever about other forums, it's important that any statements made here about the availability or non-availability of funding and grants is accurate.

People can make serious decisions about their future based on information here, so please be sure anything you post is accurate, thanks.

It is accurate that the grant has stopped this year, was told that by NUI staff, and they would know I'm sure.

• Advertisement

It is accurate that the grant has stopped this year, was told that by NUI staff, and they would know I'm sure.

The grant hasn't stopped - new claimants in receipt of BTEA will not get the maintenance grant but are eligible to have their registration fees paid - EVERYONE else ie people not getting BTEA are eligible to apply for the grant

Terry Pratchet

The NUI staff you're referring to, while I'm sure they have the best of intentions, don't administer the grant scheme. And like Johnnymcg, I believe it is inaccurate to say the grant has stopped this year, especially when viewing websites such as citizensinformation.ie and studentfinance.ie.

Please keep in mind that posting comments about how you believe the grant scheme has stopped may impact some posters who are considering applying for the grant, and like spurious said, should be accurate or else some harm could be caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

That racket it over, thank god.

I am posting information. This is a discussion board..not the citizens information..to rely on this for information solely is not the best idea.
    Thanks.

I am posting information.
    You were posting wrong information - that's the point!

Terry Pratchet

If you think about it..I wasn't.. anyway chill out man.

If you think about it..I wasn't.. anyway chill out man.
    You were and a mod and an admin had to come in and warn you

Terry Pratchet

Do as Frankie says........RELAAAAAX man.
    My point is as valid as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Do as Frankie says........RELAAAAAX man.
    My point is as valid as ever.

Your point was never valid so I suppose you're right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

JenniFurr wrote: »
    Your point was never valid so I suppose you're right.

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement