Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

financing a masters

Options
  • 11-08-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

my story is similar to other posts in this thread but slightly different, as i was originally an access student, and therefore didn't have to pay any fees while doing my degree.

i have applied and been accepted for a masters, and have applied for the VEC grant, and got a letter of receipt back.

basically, Ive been out of employment since last October in order to concentrate on the final year of my degree, and now im looking to get any other top up maintainance grants that i could successfully apply for.

any ideas of which to go for?? im a DIT student, and have seen the forms for last years SAF, which i applied for and got, to a certain extent.

any information or direction on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jossnjuice wrote: »
    hi folks,

my story is similar to other posts in this thread but slightly different, as i was originally an access student, and therefore didn't have to pay any fees while doing my degree.

i have applied and been accepted for a masters, and have applied for the VEC grant, and got a letter of receipt back.

basically, Ive been out of employment since last October in order to concentrate on the final year of my degree, and now im looking to get any other top up maintainance grants that i could successfully apply for.

any ideas of which to go for?? im a DIT student, and have seen the forms for last years SAF, which i applied for and got, to a certain extent.

any information or direction on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

When you applied for the grant - did you ask them to account for your 2010 income instead of the 2009?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

no, i didnt even know you could so that???

i thought it automatically went on the previous years taxable income???

Nope, if you have a reduction in income from the 2009 levels you're assessed on your present income under a 'change in circumstances'.

cheers for the heads up lads....

how do i go about letting them know about the change of circumstances in that case??

jossnjuice wrote: »
    cheers for the heads up lads....

how do i go about letting them know about the change of circumstances in that case??
    You should have put it on your application form - Ring up the county council and explain that you want to be assessed based on 2010 rather than 2009 and can they note this on your application form

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

thanks again for the help lads, ive been ringing all morning but cannot get through to them.....

just one more quick question.......how do they measure the finances for this year if there is a lack of documentation eg what documentation will i need to pursue this??

Hang on - I'm a bit confused here - is there a big drop in your income from 2009 to 2010 - also were you receiving a social welfare payment from October?

Terry Pratchet

yeah there is.....

seeing as i quit my job in october 09, i have got no income since then.......by a basic estimate, its roughly 16k im missing out on compared to earlier years, and also have no income for the forseeable future.

and as regards social welfare, i couldnt claim as i was in full time education up until june this summer.

cheers for the continuing help.

Advertisement