Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two Male Beardy Dragons problem :(

• 11-08-2010 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got two bearded dragons around March. Was told it was impossible to sex them accurately at the age they were when I got them so can't really complain.

However its now very obviously they are both male as they are suddenly not very friendly to each other. Currently around 6-7 months old. Have currently separated them to ensure they don't hurt each other but this is only a temporally solution.

Has anyone had a similar problem before? Could it be possible to swap one of them with a female of similar age? Or could that lead to more troubles later?

Comments

yeah they do become aggressive. If you ever visit pet shops you might even see them taunting each other from across the room. You need to keep the separate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

How aggressive are they being? I housed 2 together for many years then added 2 females - they head bobbed at each other but had no real fights - you may need to seperate at feeding time (I never did)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

FAYESY wrote: »
    How aggressive are they being? I housed 2 together for many years then added 2 females - they head bobbed at each other but had no real fights - you may need to seperate at feeding time (I never did)
    They are doing the "head bob" thing a lot and their beards went black. They don't seem that aggressive yet but I didn't really give them the chance.
    Could it be possible to continue with them both in the same tank? I assumed it was only going to get worse as they got bigger, till the point where one (or both) would end up seriously hurt.

I am going to try and see if I could find somone who would swap one of the males for a female or if that fails see if anyone would buy him off me.

Does anyone know of any pet shop in the Dublin area that could take one? Already tried whackers and reptile haven.

Would have prefered if I could keep both as I have had them since they were tiny :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Thibor

To be honest mate, it's not the best idea to have 2 kept together.
    They are generally solitary creatures and what'll (more than likely)end up happening is that 1 will dominate the other and the more submissive one will either get sick from the stress, or will end up getting injured.

Everything can seem ok, but it only takes a second for one to do serious damage to the other.

I have 2 myself, both males (the younger one is only 2 months, but I'm 99% sure it's male) and can't even let them see each other. The larger one flips out when he see's the small one and I know if he could get near it he'd kill it.

I'd just rather err on the side of caution

Advertisement