Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home insulation scheme

Options
  • 10-08-2010 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi everyone
    Can someone please help me out
    i am confused as to how the scheme works
    I had a very bad problem with dampness and mould last winter with the gable end of my house (house is semi detatched)(the walls were actually wet on the inside!)
    -My house was built in the 50's- has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom upstairs,
    Kitchen, sitting room and small front room downstairs
    -I have a natural gas heating system with radiators in each room and a tank in hot press in front room (installed 9 years ago)
    -Attic was insulated by an ex boyfriend 9 years ago so havent a clue what kind of insulation is up there!
    My question is- what steps do i do to go about applying?
    -do i have to pay for all of this myself first before i get the grant?
    -is the cost different if your on a social welfare payment?
    any help much appreciated as i havent a clue about going about this!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

There are 2 schemes available

One is the Home Energy Savings scheme which make a grant contribution towards improvement works . Broadly the grants are payable to you after you have paid for the works and the grants typically contribute to between 1/4 to 1/3 of the full cost .

The other scheme Warmer Homes is aimed at low income households . The householder is expected to pay no more than €100. Look here fot a list of contact details - phone whichever is closest to you

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stig31

Just to let you know that if the house is that damp it's likely that insulation alone won't solve your problem. Dampness from lack of insulation would be as a result of condensation (hot air hitting a cold surface) this can lead to the mold. For the level of damp you discribe you would need very moist air in the house. If this damp is a recent problem which it seems to be from your comments there may be more at play! Might be worth getting someone to look at it before you do insulation

On the other hand - given last winters particular severity - it is likely that during the very cold snap that windows were not opened at all . So a poorly insulated and not ventilated house during last Jan may well experience damp from condensation when under "normal" winter conditions it did not .

In the first instance I would seek guidance from one off the list I linked to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jordan.kellie

thanks for the replys guys, so in order to get this work done i would need a couple thousand up front!! ?:confused:
    stig31- yes this was a very recent problem, i am in the house 10 years now and never experienced damp like it! I just put it down to the very bad winter we had last year?
    This only occured in the 2 bedrooms on the gable end walls and no other walls were affected.
    When the bad weather went the walls seemed to dry out, i recently put damp proof paint on and it seems to have kept the mould at bay
    also how would there be highly moist air in the house? is it due to heating system? who do i get to look at it?

thanks for the replys guys, so in order to get this work done i would need a couple thousand up front!! ?:confused:

not if you qualify for the Warmer Homes Scheme - then you pay only €100
    stig31- yes this was a very recent problem, i am in the house 10 years now and never experienced damp like it! I just put it down to the very bad winter we had last year?

This is the most likely explanation - so don't fret

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jordan.kellie

thanks lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stig31

i am basicly saying the same as sinnerboy, there could be a many reasons for the damp and you should get a professional to have a look before you do the work. you mentioned that the damp was on the gable and that you are in a simi d. is the damp on the party wall or the exposed gable. as if its the party wall and the adjoining house has any level of heat you should not have condensation on this wall. on the other hand if its the extior wall everything is up for graps.
    with the best will in the world none of us could give you a definitive answer without a survey of the property so get someone to do this for you.

Advertisement