Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what size hot water cylinder??? 300ltr or 500ltr

Options
  • 10-08-2010 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

300 or 500?

house has:
    at the moment.

2 adults, who knows kids would be nice sometime.
    5 showers,
    1 bath,
    1 dishwasher, cold water feed actually
    1 washing machine, cold water feed actually
    1 kitchen sink
    5 basins in bathrooms/ensuite.

the whole house is on a pressure system. all taps and showers etc...

heating system

old fashion oil burner,
    stove back boiler
    and will hopefully get solar in the next yr or so.

at the moment the floors are going in, and i have spec;d for 300ltr triple coil tank, but 2 people mentioned 500ltr tank would be better. yet the plumber i have reckons 300 is enough and that it will more than enough do the house.

hmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

300 or 500?

house has:
    at the moment.

2 adults, who knows kids would be nice sometime.
    5 showers,
    1 bath,
    1 dishwasher, cold water feed actually
    1 washing machine, cold water feed actually
    1 kitchen sink
    5 basins in bathrooms/ensuite.

the whole house is on a pressure system. all taps and showers etc...

heating system

old fashion oil burner,
    stove back boiler
    and will hopefully get solar in the next yr or so.

at the moment the floors are going in, and i have spec;d for 300ltr triple coil tank, but 2 people mentioned 500ltr tank would be better. yet the plumber i have reckons 300 is enough and that it will more than enough do the house.

hmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . .

Ive always sized a cylinder looking at the occupants but also looking at the house size.

If a house has only one or 2 people in it 300 is more than enough, but if the same house with 2 people in it is 4000 sq ft with 7 bedrooms, it would be prudent to look at the potential occupation of the home rather than the present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say 500l.
    Specifically if you are putting in Solar, which I highly recommend.

We have a 500l and 5.5 sq meter flat panel solar... Its great for the hot water, there are days that after having showers the solar is off by noon. Larger thank would allow more hot water storage for the bad days...
    I'd have gone bigger if I'd known how good the solar would heat water..

In 18 months we've only had the immersion on three times for 30 minutes each... twice was in this crappy July :eek:

Advertisement